What would you change?

If you could change just one thing on or related to DevDreams.com what would it be?

The Royal Ram

Comments

• danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    the purplish theme :S
    ban1.gif
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Well since you mentioned the theme guess what.. At this very moment I am in fact testing the new forum skin ;)

I have been for the last few days :D Just a few more changes to be made

The Royal Ram

• danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    awesome :D
    ban1.gif
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    Can't wait.

I would love to see some new form of interactivity.
    Blogs or something like that because aside from the members DD is like every other webmaster forum.
    ^^ Agreed ;)

I have coded about 70% of the blogging system. When its complete you will be able to use your forum account to create as many blogs as you want as long as they are computer related... Also guests will be able to comment on the posts made in your blog...

The Royal Ram

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    The blogging thing is a pretty good idea since some of us don't have sites (yeah, I know it's odd that someone who does web coding would go without a site, but I don't have one as I haven't bought any hosting as of yet).
    Not everyone who visits sites like DevDreams is into web development, some people are just into the general computer or technology thing (I am a self confessed tech nerd, even if I don't have the best PC ever) and blogs would allow them to post their views on these subjects.

One thing does bug me a bit about the main site...
    It seems like there's adverts everywhere. There's a google advert in the banner, adverts down the left side, banners in the main content section and google adverts at the bottom :(
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    Ok since you mentioned advertising Ill talk a little about that and what I have planned...

Currently there is an advert in the header, left panel and footer on the site. When the new version is online I am limiting it to just adverts on the left panel and one or two small adverts somewhere in the article/tutorial listings...

As for the forum there will be one advert at the top of the forum beneath the navigation and one in the footer.

There will however be an option where you can remove all of the adverts for a small fee... The only reason the adverts are there are to cover site running costs and of course to hopefully generate a little income from my work...

The Royal Ram

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yeah, I understand the idea of advertising on the site, but the one in the banner really bugged me as it killed the look of it.
    I have seen similar things done before, but handled better.
    If you're going to put adverts in the banner, it might be a better idea to do something similar to what they used to have at SDS where they were blended into the banner (not on there now though).
    An advert in the top section of the layout might come off better if the colours are made to blend in a little better :/
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    There will be no more adverts of any kind in the banners anymore ;)
    Well they will be removed when the new version goes online ;)

The Royal Ram