Two-thirds of the world's websites hosted in the US

Can you believe this?
Two-thirds of the world's websites are hosted in the US

Why is this? I would have guessed only half. Why are you from the UK hosting in the US?
http://www.nma.co.uk/Articles/29014/Majority+of+domain+names+hosted+in+US.html

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    $10 is cheaper than ?10, so hosting on servers in a country with a lower currency than us is better value.
    Over here, we pretty much have 1&1 and not much else in terms of big name hosting, and companies like ASmallOrange, which don't punish users for paying monthly simply do not exist here.
    A company offering hosting like that Powweb offers at $7.77 a month if you pay anyually is a steal to US webmasters, but since a US dollar is little over half of a UK pound (Egypt also uses pounds), it looks even better to us as there's no overheads for being in another country as it's all online (if it were a physical product such as a piece of hardware, many would buy it locally to save on import charges, delivery and such).

Also, big names like Intel usually make newer hardware accessable to US companies first, so they are more likely to get newer hardware quicker.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yep I think Nuvo covered most of it.

However I've also found that majority of US Hosting Companies and Domain Registrars have better customer service and answer queries alot faster than those based in the UK.
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    my take is that probably that most people believe that the infrastructure is better over in the us - so the setup/line should be more stable. since more people host over there, there is economies of scale and prices drop - which in turn attracts more people... :) and the wheel goes around and around...
  • ryanryan Beginner Link Clerk
    Even 1and1.co.uk is way more expensive than 1and1.com
  • BurninDragon08BurninDragon08 Beginner Link Clerk
    It might be because the US is very stable, and most people find that it is more reliable. (Not trying to diss anyone's country, btw)
  • ayushsinhalayushsinhal Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Nuvo wrote: »
    $10 is cheaper than ?10, so hosting on servers in a country with a lower currency than us is better value.
    Over here, we pretty much have 1&1 and not much else in terms of big name hosting, and companies like ASmallOrange, which don't punish users for paying monthly simply do not exist here.
    A company offering hosting like that Powweb offers at $7.77 a month if you pay anyually is a steal to US webmasters, but since a US dollar is little over half of a UK pound (Egypt also uses pounds), it looks even better to us as there's no overheads for being in another country as it's all online (if it were a physical product such as a piece of hardware, many would buy it locally to save on import charges, delivery and such).

Also, big names like Intel usually make newer hardware accessable to US companies first, so they are more likely to get newer hardware quicker.

i agree with you complety