Local Area Sites at all Area codes in the ".us" TLD

Creating one of largest directories in any extesnion
Neustar in partnerhip with vendaremedia. They have registered all the zip codes in the USA in the ".us" extension and put up mini sites to get local advertising.
For example:
www.90210.us
www.98005.us
www.98006.us

from their site:
"US LOCAL RESULTS
The .us domain directory is currently under development but please check back soon! This unique directory will include thousands of business, organizations, clubs, and schools in your local community. Make sure to become a member of the largest local directory project ever!"
www.vendaremedia.com

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Personally, I think that all they will do is sink money into a somewhat pointless venture.
    Registering all those domains isn't a small feat, even for a company that can afford to do it, and they would have been better off using sub domains such as 12345.site.us.
    Such a thing would mean only buying one domain name, preferably a short one with no more than three letters which would act as a psuedo-TLD.
    Most people will use a search engine to find what they want, irrespective of their location.
    By the sounds of it, they are trying to build an online equivilent of a phone book, which has already been done and is only likely to be used by those who need to find local services quickly (in that case, you'd be better off phoning the companies as phone calls are direct while the internet isn't, so you could say you need a plumber right away, but it doesn't mean you'll get it).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!