How'd you become a host

rebelagentrebelagent Junior MemberShared Hoster
I actually just bought a reseller so I could develop my own talents but I figured I wouldn't make enough developing so I started selling hosting. That's how I pay for my server :) and became a host.
Thanked by [1] : DeluxeNames

Comments

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    rebelagent wrote: »
    I actually just bought a reseller so I could develop my own talents but I figured I wouldn't make enough developing so I started selling hosting. That's how I pay for my server :) and became a host.
    What hosting reseller did you go with and what are the prices like? Was it hard searching for a good reseller?

In the past I considered getting a reseller through HostGator.com. Any thoughts on their reseller program?
  • KilkKilk Junior Member Shared Hoster
    What hosting reseller did you go with and what are the prices like? Was it hard searching for a good reseller?

In the past I considered getting a reseller through HostGator.com. Any thoughts on their reseller program?

I run a hosting company also KillerHost.net I know this would seem n00bie or stupid, but I bought my Reseller off of Ebay from RHServe, I would recommend them, they do offer the Unmetered stuff which seems to be a overseller or scam but they actually have like 500 dedicated servers from LayeredTech which all the servers are located in Savvis Datacenter in Fort Worth, Texas. And you get it all with WHM and cPanel for only $45 a YEAR with custom nameservers. I have been with them since August, there uptime and my uptime are almost 100%. Get fast server speeds as they run on AMD Opteron processors.
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Kilk wrote: »
    I run a hosting company also KillerHost.net I know this would seem n00bie or stupid, but I bought my Reseller off of Ebay from RHServe, I would recommend them, they do offer the Unmetered stuff which seems to be a overseller or scam but they actually have like 500 dedicated servers from LayeredTech which all the servers are located in Savvis Datacenter in Fort Worth, Texas. And you get it all with WHM and cPanel for only $45 a YEAR with custom nameservers. I have been with them since August, there uptime and my uptime are almost 100%. Get fast server speeds as they run on AMD Opteron processors.

Thank you for this advice Kilk! I'm going to check them out.
  • rebelagentrebelagent Junior Member Shared Hoster

I have a reseller with integrityhost.com and so far i've only been down once in about 8 months. Sometimes it lags but they fix it right away! 24/7 live chat support is a great reason to get them. Servers start at 119 I believe. I got an offer from the ebay for a shared reseller $20.00 USD and unmetered BW only drag is CPU usage which does limit me to hosting small sites. I do recommend them since they're extremely good.

Hostgator is good but in the instance you want to offer a free trial you cannot do that. If you want to offer $1.00 package deals....you can't do that. I don't know if they have dedicated but I'm sure there are restrictions. So if in the instance you want to add your own sites you can't do that.

I suggest starting out with a VPS then upgrading to a dedicated when you get the need to do so.
  • Roo27Roo27 Beginner Link Clerk
    I bought one the other day too :)
    Did you get WHM? Well thats your WEBHOSTMANAGER
    That's where you create subdomains, domains or packages for your reseller.
    If you just want to have free hosting you go to Create new account
    However if you want to set up your reseller package for someone you click add package and then you an create your own =]
    Thanked by [1] : DeluxeNames