Why need so many domains? Why not use subdomains?

OpsidianOpsidian Shared Hoster
edited February 2022 in Hosting Discussion & News

Instead of buying many domains, why don't we all use one domain and run additional sites as subdomains?

For example, we could settle in using subdomains on our business domain or even our own name?

The content of each site doesn't have to be related to each other, perhaps totally separate sites.

Think about how much we'd save by not owning hundreds of domains.

I've been doing it this way for about 5 years now and never had an issue - is there some downside/security/ect issue I am missing? Or if its working for me, should I just keep on keeping on?

Comments

• Ask in a marketing or SEO sub; it may have an impact on those elements.

From a technical standpoint, subdomains have worked pretty well since at least the '90s. If on a shared hosting plan and one of the sites becomes compromised this may lead to the others becoming compromised as well. Containerization via separate accounts is an effective strategy to minimize damage across multiple domains.

And not sure if you meant pointing different domains (yourwebsite.com) to one provider or actual subdomains (subdomain1.yourwebsite.com) which also may lead to confusion on the brand or company name. It could have the potential to lead to some funky search results if using subdomains.

Thanked by [1] : Python
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator

Because your business will look out of money and shady if it's on a sub domain.

C'mon man, a $9.88 domain is too much for your business? Then why would someone trust you?

Thanked by [1] : Python