Linking and PR

SEbasicSEbasic Advanced UserVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
ok. i have a question. if a site with a pr of 4 was to link to a site with a lower pr would that affect it? should all sites be aiming to link to sites with prs greater then theres?

and if thats the case then what happens when your site has a higher pr than the one you have been linking to in the past. do you just remove that link or keep it there?

In anwser to that question...

When you link to a site with a lower PR than you, you do not lose any of your PR.

However, as a result of linking to that site, their PR will go up.

Do not be afraid to link to a site with a lower PR than yours. Some people will not link exchange unles the site has at least a PR 4.

The reason for this, is that when you perform a link search on Google, only the links with a PR4+ actually show up.

In my personal opinion, I believe that it is beneficial to get ANY link. (unless it's a link farm or FFA site)
Rave it up.

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    ahh rite ok. so i should aim to get as many links as possible as long as its not an ffa like you said

The Royal Ram

• SEbasicSEbasic Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yeah basically.

Try to make the links on-topic. Also, google won't pick up on redirect or java links. It has to be plain HTML.

Have you got the G toolbar installed?
    Rave it up.
    ye i have. it sucks this site has a PR of 0, i cant seem to increase it?

The Royal Ram

It will get better.

I'm not sure how SE friendly the directory structure is though.

If you really want to get the site featured in the SERP's, it might be worth your while, doing some investigation into how to republish the dynamic content (forum pages) as HTML. That way, the SE spiders will be able to crawl the site more easily.

BACK TO THE SUBJECT.....

make sure that the pages you exchange links with are spiderable.
    Make sure the ROBOTS.txt (if they have one) doesn't stop the spiders from crawling the site either.
    Rave it up.
    by the way i have just set up a html archive. it can be viewed at www.devdreams.com/archive

that is a html version of this forum and it is designed so that spiders can spider the forum.

its linked to at the bottom of all the forum pages and will soon be linked from the main site.

The Royal Ram

Good start.

How did you go about doing it?

Is it practical enough to do it on the live forum?
    Rave it up.
    well it is just a hack which is available at phpbbhacks.com

what do you mean is it practical doing it on the live forum? i dont quite understand what you mean.

if you mean is it practical to actually link to it via the forum then really no. because the whole point of it is to get search engines to go to the forum not for them to have trouble getting to the archive.

The Royal Ram

No. What I mean is this...

http://www.devdreams.com/viewtopic.php?t=154

This is the URL for this post...

Could you convert it to

http://www.devdreams.com/seo/post11674.html

Am I making any sense?
    Rave it up.
    ahh rite so you mean actually converting the actual pages into html instead of just having a replica of it in html.

errrm yes i suppose it could be done. but with that im sure there are some cut backs such as forum modifications. stuff like points system, bank etc i dont think that they work properly without it being a .php extension. not sure though.

i will look into this

The Royal Ram

I would. Think of all the spider traffic you could get!

If there is lots of content constantly being addad, the SE's would LOVE IT!
    Rave it up.
    ye it should deffinately increase search engine listings. i will see what i can do later on when ive got time

The Royal Ram