PHP-Board Script Discussion

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
This thread is dedicated to my upcoming forum script - php-Board. If you have any comments, ideas, suggestions or submissions please use this thread.

Current Progress
Since development of this script has only just begun as of yet there is no progress tracking available.

What to expect
A full list of features can be found at http://www.php-board.net/features.php

If you have any suggestions, ideas or feature requests please reply to this thread.

Thankyou

The Royal Ram

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Just completed the language code. This means that you can use a different language for your forum by changing one file.

The Royal Ram

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Thats cool!
    Just completed the user registration. Initial registration uses a short form so its quicker and then extra profile options will be available to change/add. I will also be working on a verification system for users.

The Royal Ram

What type of admin panel should there be? Either one which is seperate from the board itself (like phpbb, ipb and vbuletin) or integrated into the board itself (for example a page in admins profile etc...)

The Royal Ram

Also... should the admin panel be skinnable?

The Royal Ram

• martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    It should be like php ipb and vb and yes t should be skinnable :D
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
    Ok.

What sort of navigation shold the admin panel have?
    Bar down the side or different?

The Royal Ram

• tonytony Moderator Administrator
    bar down the side and i dont see why the admin panel should be skinnable if its easier for you then yes, if not then no nobody gets to see it so its no big deal
    It would not take much more work to make it skinnable so I think that it might aswell be done - its an extra feature to attract people to use it :)

Ok it will use a sidebar navigation in the admin panel.

The Royal Ram

ive got 2 suggestions for your script which you may or may not be able to do

1: autoinstall feature
    2: search engine friendly
    > A web-based installer has already been planned
    > It will come with the ability to configure it to use mod_rewrite for SE friendly url's. Also there will be no session id's.

The Royal Ram

ok well ill go back to my corner
    Is there any point of having an archive? Because the site itself should be fairly search engine friendly... Or should I create one just in case their server doesnt support mod_rewrite for friendly urls?

The Royal Ram

i wouldnt personally it seems like a lot of extra work when there isnt any need for it
    What do the rest of you think about this idea/...

The Royal Ram

Heres a little update on current progress:

> Finished the website at http://www.php-board.net
    I have created and launched the official site for the project, php-Board. It lists the features which have been planned and also contains some other useful information. When the first release of php-Board is done it will be put up at the downloads section. Currently there is no forum since it is still in development.

> Simplified template system
    I have done some cleaning up with the template system and have removed one or two to make it faster to load and also easier to understand.

> Completed forum index
    This lists the main categories and then the sub-forums for each of them. It can handle an unlimited number of categories, forums and sub-forums. It also has a statistics box at the bottom which shows registration and posting statistics.

> Completed memberlist
    This page simply lists all of the registered users of the forum. It also shows how many posts they have made. Some more work will be done on this to add some extra features.

> Completed faq
    The frequently asked questions section is complete. It features unlimited categories with unlimited questions/answers. These will be managed in the admin control panel.

> Extra bits
    I have added to the bottom of all pages the time in miliseconds it took to load and show up fully. This would be useful for performance and speed monitoring. On my local machine where its being developed all pages load faster than 0.2 seconds. This will of course increase when its online but it wont be too much.

The next part to be done is viewprofile. Here are some questions related to it:
    + How should view profile be laid out?
    + How should the user control panel be laid out?

I will hopefully have a first version beta online at http://www.php-board.net sometime early next month.

Thanks

The Royal Ram

• james.ukjames.uk Junior Member Shared Hoster
    just a quick suggestion for the site (php-board.net). on the support page why dont you make the email address a url.
    <a href=mailto:you@domain.com>you@domain.com</a>

like i said its just a simple idea make it easier for your users to simply click it than actually coping then pasting their email. as you can tell i assume everybody uses outlook :p and body who doesnt know how to config outlook needs to learn in my view.
    A psychopath with dyslexia
    i personally dont use outlook theres too many viruses but its a good idea to have it as a link