Do you care about domain extensions?

Would you pay extra for a domain just because it was a .com?
Would you choose a different/longer domain because you'r first choice was not available with a .com?
Would you buy a .com for a domain thats not for a company?
Would you use a .org for anything other than a non-profit organisation?
Do you even care? lol

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    1. Yes but not much
    2. No, Id try out some other extensions of that name first
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. It depends

The Royal Ram

• pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    1.Yes
    2.Only if .net and .org arent available.
    3.Yes
    4.Yes
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    if it's a company or business venture, then i'd pay for all extensions and variations (e.g. plural)...

for personal hobby websites - i don't really care... :)
  • websitesbuiltwebsitesbuilt Beginner Link Clerk
    Would you pay extra for a domain just because it was a .com? Yes
    Would you choose a different/longer domain because you'r first choice was not available with a .com? Yes
    Would you buy a .com for a domain thats not for a company? Dont follow
    Would you use a .org for anything other than a non-profit organisation? yes but would likely find something different
    Do you even care? lol, about....lol
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    1) pay extra for a domain just because it was a .com? - YES!
    2) choose longer domain because you'r first choice was not .com? - YES!
    3) Would you buy a .com for a domain thats not for a company? Yes
    4) Would you use a .org for other than a non-profit organisation? Yes
    5) Do you even care? - More than you can imagine
  • WordsmithWordsmith Junior Member Link Clerk
    1) yes
    2) sometimes
    3) yes
    4) yes
    5) Of course!
  • BeachieBeachie Moderator: Raging Bender Link Clerk
    a) Yes!
    b) Depends on the situation. If the longer .com described my site I'd stick with .com
    c) Yes.
    d) Yes, .org was never officially for non-profits only.
    e) Absolutely :)
    Gadget.com | Everybody.com | BulletinBoard.com | Stupidity.com | Aquatic.com | Cuddly.com | Blogs.org | Newcomers.com | Wealth.org
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Would you pay extra for a domain just because it was a .com?
    Nope.
    If I'm not making money on the venture (I often don't as I tend to give things away), I wouldn't want to put much money into the domain extension.
    I've used .org domain names in the past for free, but personal sites (when I used to develop under Windows, I used to have a site called tsmedia.org for news and files), but I've always been a bigger fan of .net than of .com for some reason.

Would you choose a different/longer domain because you'r first choice was not available with a .com?
    No.
    Making your site harder to find and obfusticating the URL just because you wanted a .com is incredibly silly.
    Having a .com is all well and good, but it shouldn't be at the expence of your userbase.

Would you buy a .com for a domain thats not for a company?
    Yes.
    The whole idea of sector specific TLD's died long ago, and there's very few extensions which are still limited, for obvious reasons (.gov, .ac, .nhs, .mil and so on) and less obvious readons (why bother creating the adult only .xxx TLD when nobody will bother using it as they don't have to?).
    If it sounds right, I'd see if it was available as it's not like people still think of .com domains as corporations anymore.

Would you use a .org for anything other than a non-profit organisation?
    Yes, but only for equally not for profit ventures, like my site which was mentioned above (long dead though).

Do you even care? lol
    To some extent, yes.
    Unfortunately though, very few others do, so no matter what is said, it's unlikely that TLD's will be targeted at specific tasks again in the near future, so I might as well roll with it.

Also, LOL NECROPOST @ Websitesbuilt.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!