Layers

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
do you think that layers are good to use?

ive for some reason never liked using them but what do you think? cause doesnt their position change with different screen resolutions?

The Royal Ram

Comments

• SEbasicSEbasic Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I only use layers. No tables.

Much more SE friendly.

You use CSS to controll them so that they don't change positions in different browsers.

Hard to get your head round at first, but well worth it.
    Rave it up.
  • ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Complying with the newest standards is always good :D You just have to be prepared for a learning curve if your going from tables to layers.

There are too many browser issues right now, I don't like to have to use all these "tricks" to get things to look right. So I'll stick to tables for a while.
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    ye same here. ill probably stick to tables until i get time to learn layers good enough.

in fact im trying to create a dynamic template based site which is proving to be quite difficult

The Royal Ram

• kinkkink serious member VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    thats where the position stuff comes in add z-index to your position code and go wild .
    z-index is never really too big an issue...

I rarley have to use it.
    Rave it up.
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    i feel kinda like a noob but... ive never heard of layers when it comes to web design :?
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    really? well if you dont know what they are think of them as detached frames which can be placed ANYWHERE on a page

The Royal Ram

LAYERS ARE COOL the position of the work should not change if it does then its not coded properly
    the idea of using layers (or <div>). Is taht it goes some of the way to seperating style from content. You should be able to do whatever you like on the screen (design wise), while not influencing the layout of you content within the code. (accessibility, SE's the list goes on...)
    Rave it up.
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    ooo if layers are <DIV> tags then i do know what they are just didnt know they were called layers
    well unless your doing something 3d, or that really nessestates the layers. you would probably be better off just pasting the specific article into one piece. for load time sake . my opinion
  • david_sakhdavid_sakh Junior Member Shared Hoster
    i heard layers are good but tables are much easier to understand (for me at least)