If the current handhelds weren't connected to big name companies...

NuvoNuvo Forum LeaderVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
Which do you think would be more popular?
Now, I'm not trying to start any kind of fanboyish flame war or anything, I'm just asking which you think would be more popular if none of them were connected to the companies that make them, only based on the console, not the games.
I'll list each one and what it can do...

Nintendo DS:
Screen: 2 colour screens, lower screen is a touch screen, both 3in LCD making 6in total viewing space.
Game storage format: DS gamepak & GBA gamepak.
Game save media: Saved to the gamepaks internal storage space.
Games supported: Any games designed for the DS, most games designed for the Gameboy Advance (3rd party gamepaks may allow games from other consoles to be played, but ROMs are illegal).
Multiplayer: 802.11 WiFi with Nintendo proprietry NiFi overlay, range of 100 feet.
Single gamepak can be used through the game download feature which download multiplayer only game components into memory, these are lost when the console shuts down.
GBA games cannot be played in multiplayer mode through the DS.
Design style: Clamshell.
Colour: "Titanium" silver and black, other colours available from 5th July 2005.
Audio: Virtual surround sound support, stereo speakers mounted at the sides of the upper screen, headphones are supported.
Processor: 1x ARM7, 1x ARM8 (ARM7 processor is used for GBA games).
Input: Embeded microphone as well as additional headset mic support, touch screen with stylus and thumb strap, left and right shoulder buttons, A, B, X, Y face buttons, four way control pad, start and select face buttons.
PC connectivity: None straight out of the box, could be added later.
Multimedia \ non-game features: Inbuilt IRC styled Picochat application allowing 16 people to chat in each of it's 5 rooms in the local area (supports text, symbols and drawing on the touch screen), alarm clock, calendar.
Dimensions: 5.58in by 3.33in by 1.13in.
Add-on's and accessories: Thumb \ wrist strap (comes in the box), extra stylus (in the box), others may come later.

Playstation portable:
Screen: Single LCD screen, 4.3in widescreen.
Game storage format: Sony UMD (Universal Media Disc, similar concept to minidisc technology, but with a larger capacity and different overall design).
Game save media: Memorystick Pro DUO cards, these are made by Sony, Sandisk, Datel and other companies.
Games supported: Any game designed for the PSP (prior to the version 2.0 firmware update, homebrew emulators could be used to play games from other consoles via the memory stick provided, ROMs are illegal and the V2.0 firmware hasn't been hacked to such an extent at this time).
Multiplayer: 802.11b WiFi, can be used in "Ad-Hoc" mode for local, temporary connections or full WLAN for Internet access through a terminal (such as a WLAN router connected to broadband internet).
Design style: Block with the screen in the center like the first GBA, or older handhelds like the gamegear.
Colour: Playstation colours, Black, blue and silver.
Audio: Inbuilt stereo speakers, headphones are supported (provided with the value pack).
Processor: 1x PSP processor.
Input: Standard Playstation controls similar to previous analogue controllers minus the right thumbstick.
PC connectivity: USB support & possibly WiFi if the software in use supports it, Memorystick pro DUO cards can be used with card readers.
Multimedia \ non-game features: Web browser (added in the version 2.0 firmware update, this comes as standard on EU units), movie playback from Memorysick PRO DUO memory cards or UMD's with DVD quality features, image viewing, audio playback from the memory stick.
Dimensions: 170mm by 74mm by 22mm.
Add-on's \ accessories: Headphones (comes with the value pack) audio player controller (comes with the value pack, for use with the headphones), wrist strap (comes with the value pack), case (comes with the value pack), extended battery pack, headphones with microphone, USB camera module (E3 prototype, may not be released), USB GPS module (E3 prototype, may not be released), USB keyboard (E3 prototype, will probably come out at some point to compliment the web browser and other future mutimedia features which could be added), others.

Gizmondo:
Screen: Single LCD screen, 2.8in widescreen.
Game storage format: SD flash card.
Game save media: SD flash card, made by various companies.
Games supported: Any game designed for the Gizmondo (use of SD cards may allow homebrew coders to create their own emulators and games, ROMs are illegal).
Multiplayer: GPRS and Bluetooth based allowing the user to play multiplayer games with other gizmondo users anywhere that they can get a signal, requires a mobile phone SIM card with credit or a contract SIM card.
GPRS is a mobile internet technology commonly used on phones, you only pay for the data you download, not how long you are using it.
Using bluetooth will let you play with people within range without paying for it.
Design style: Block with the screen in the center like the first GBA, or older handhelds like the gamegear.
Colour: Black and silver.
Audio: Inbuilt stereo speakers, headphones are supported.
Processor: 1x 400Mhz ARM9 CPU.
Input: 8 way d-pad, 4x face buttons, 2x shoulder buttons and 5x system buttons.
PC connectivity: USB support and Bluetooth support, most card readers can read from SD memory cards.
Multimedia \ non-game features: GPS (global positioning system), text, picture and multimedia messaging via GPRS (can send to phones, other gizmondo units and other MMS enabled devices), movie playback, audio playback, integrated digital camera, bluetooth networking for filesharing and games, basic web access using WAP.
Dimensions: ??????????.
Add-on's \ accessories: Headset (provided), sim card (provided), other (no information available).
PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
Current project: CMS Object.
Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
Release date: NEVER!!!

Comments

• FelixFelix Junior Member Shared Hoster
    The Nintendo DS would do the best. I have always seen Sony as a much bigger enterprise than nintendo, which leads me to believe that many people only buy the PSP because of sony being bigger. :)
  • strangedarstrangedar Senior Member The Royal RAM
    I thkn the poll is just going off specs not the brand...(?)
    strangedarknesssig.jpg
    sebastianastill.co.uk - My Portfolio
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    strangedar wrote:
    I thkn the poll is just going off specs not the brand...(?)
    Yeah, just going by the actual consoles, not by who makes them.
    I'm kinda dissapointed at the DS, which is why I no longer own one.
    The games didn't appeal to me since the launch games were either remakes or poorly thrown together.
    The main titles everyone was hoping to get were Metroid Prime: Hunters, Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS.
    Mario 64 DS is, obviously, a remake of Mario 64 and Mario Kart looked pretty similar to the N64 version too.
    The best games I had were Mario 64, Zoo Keeper and Polarium, and Polarium could have easily been created for any half decent PDA, phone or whatever, since you could use a d-pad rather than the stylus.
    I got Need for speed underground 2, and it was a very poor adaptation which doesn't stand a chance against more advanced titles like Midnight Club 3 on the PSP.
    I suspect that a good number of people will like the idea of the PSP simply because it does a fair bit and it's cheaper than going out and buying a Gizmondo or an Ipod and PDA.
    The DS retails at £99 here while the PSP is £179.99 (unless you use the freemans catalogue which is selling it for nearly £300 with one game, the games are only £29.99 at most stores but they are selling them for £49.99) and the Gizmondo is over £200.
    I was going to buy an Ipod mini, but I didn't like the idea of forking out £160 for one, and I wasn't keen on the size (putting that in my pocket wouldn't leave room for a handheld :[), epecially since the PSP will fit my needs and it is only costing me £184 (£179.99 + delivery and not-going-to-the-games-shop-at-11pm-for-the-midnight-release-pickup costs).
    I was looking forward to Nanostray, but one game isn't enough to warrant keeping the DS for me.
    I go by what it can do and what's coming out for it usually.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I have a DS with Mario 64 and 3 GBA games. That's all, yet I did play on it every day back in school.
    I haven't played it once during the holidays though. I probably will if I go away this summer, but otherwise, I just play on my iBook.
    I might get a PSP but I would rather have an ipod and a DS if only the games were as good for the DS....