Popup affiliates dying down?

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
Because of new programs being introduced which prevent popups from occuring what is happening with the popup advertising business...

Think it will just die down to almost nothing or do you think it will carry on somehow?

The Royal Ram

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Well, pop-up blockers still aren't perfect and some sites do get through.
    Pop-up advertising has died down considerably since browsers like Firefox and Opera started gaining popularity as it's simply not effective.
    Banner advertising is still rather effective if done correctly and systems like Adsense are often used (Targetfirst is similar to Adsense, and it's not the only Google clone) simply because they show ads related to the site you're viewing (or are supposed to, anyway).
    It's both mass advertising systems like Adsense and more innovative approaches like http://milliondollarhomepage.com/ (vastly copied, but origionally by a British uni student) which are most successful while pop-up's and random banner systems are dying off.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • deadseriousdeadserious Beginner Link Clerk
    I think it will just continue to carrry on, at least until IE can manage to block popups as well as firefox.
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    ^^ which will probably never happen unless they rethink their entire browser and put in some work, lol
    But maybe the next version of IE will have such features...

The Royal Ram

• pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    IE7 is supposed to be pretty good. Pop-up blocker(which I think it may already have) and I've heard about tabbed browsing, but I can't confirm it.
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    IE7 does have tabbed browsing (about bloody time, not that I'll ever use IE again) and there's a good number of pop-up blockers which work with IE.
    IE7 should have pop-up blocking, but IE7 is only in XP Service Pack 2 and above, though beta versions can be found.
    In my opinion, anyone who uses a browser which was poorly designed, insecure and had the rendering abilities of a dead snail over 3 years ago, and han't improved, deserves all they get...
    It's not like it's hard to install and use Opera or Firefox, and they cost nothing to get (FF is open source and Opera is now free with paid premium grade support).
    Both Opera and Firefox are well designed and have usability features like the integrated google search, RSS support and tabs but IE won't get them till IE7 without plug-in's... and IE7 has MSN search in it's search bar, not Google, which is a downer :/
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!