Forums...

I can't install one and I dont know why. Im not trying a complex one or anything, just PHPBB2, and everytime I get critical error cannot connect to database...

Anyone willing to help?

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Firstly make sure youve got the latest version..

Then also make sure your host has got PHP (minimum version 4 bt 5 prefferably).

Thats the first steps

The Royal Ram

• tonytony Moderator Administrator
    does your host have fantastico?
    if it does then its really simple if not then im no good at getting php and mysql to work
  • summoner49summoner49 Member NAT Warrior
    yes, it has PHP... next step :P

and no fantastico
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    Check to make sure the database you have set up matches with the info you submit on the phpbb install

Thats step two:)
    Yeah probably the most common installation problem is the database connection details.

The host should be set as "localhost" without the quotes and also the username, password and database name need to be exact.

The Royal Ram

• summoner49summoner49 Member NAT Warrior
    Yea...

it asked for:

Database Name:
    Database User:
    Database Pass:

Admin Name:
    Admin Pass
    Admin Pass Confirm

whats the difference?
    Database username, username and password are used to connect to the servers database. So first of all you actually need a database to connect to.

If you have cPanel log into it and then go to MySQL databases. From there you can make a new database and user.When youve created a new database and user you then need to assign the user to that database which again can be done form this screen. And thats your database sorted.

The admin username and password are the login information which you would use to login to your froums administration panel so you can make changes to the forums settings.

The Royal Ram