Just wondering.

james.ukjames.uk Junior MemberShared Hoster
I'm bored, also quite curious i might add, so im going to ask you something extremely simple... How do you go about preparing a new project? Basically how do plan your script.

My way seems to say the least "rubbish", there are other words i would use but for child safety and the fear of being locked up i wont say them. When im creating a code i seem to plan so much of it and then i seem to "tweak" if you will and then the code isn't so basic and easily understood. Does anybody else have this same technique or am i the only lame arse who cant plan...?
A psychopath with dyslexia

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Generally with code I firstly think about what I want to achieve in the end and then on paper just make simple notes about how Im going to do it... I sometimes write down small bits of code for logic and order thinking...

But thats about it...

The Royal Ram

• ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    I've got a whiteboard which I use for scribbling notes down.

First, I think of everything the entire app will need to do (user session, database abstraction, templates etc) and then divide up what needs to be done (home page, search, category etc). Then after you know what needs to be done, it's very easy to just write the code.
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I have done some planning for my AS ICT Coursework.
    I have to make some kind of system in Microsoft Excel and am basically making it do as much as Excel is capable of - I find Excel easy. I wish we could do our Coursework on something more challenging like PHP, Python or C++ for example. Then I mighty actually learn some (cool) stuff in the process.
    But, anyway, for my plab, I listed all the sheets I would need and under each sheet name I listed each thing that the user would want to do on that sheet.
    So, I plan stuff to.
    I write lists of stuff all the time, my memory sucks so I find I forget stuff if i don't.

:) CBG
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    I white board aye? Now thats a good idea! Might look into that ;)

The Royal Ram

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Usually, I think of what I want to build and think about what I'll need to do and get a rough idea of how to do it.
    I tend to plan out how things should look and feel in my head since I have a decent memory and drawing... ahahahahaaaa... I suck.
    I do have a notepad which I can jot notes into, but it's mostly full of scribbles.
    Though I don't tend to break projects down much, I usually go ahead an finish the important parts first before working on styling or things that can be completed later, even if they are critical (so long as it is usable, I can improve running speeds and such when I know for sure that it works).
    An example of this is the editor I have been building... I made sure it was actually usable before working on things like button images and lesser features.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!