How does MSN transfer its messages?

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
Just wondering... how does MSN transfer its messages? Do they get stored on a database on the MS server or something and then accessed by the user or are they sent directly?

Anyone know?

Thanks

The Royal Ram

Comments

• ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Probably through sockets like every other IM clients. I believe the only thing the server does is take care of logins/user lists and the like.
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    i dont think every message gets stored on a massive database, there would be no oint in microsoft saving them
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    As far as I understand it (my basic knowlage of P2P networks), I'd assume that MSN would use some form of brokered network.
    Brokered networks have a central server which handles connections, but once a connection is set up, the central server cuts off and leaves the clients to it.
    The central server would be used for converting usernames into addresses which the other client could work with and it'd also handle any details like friends lists since people on MSN change their usernames more than their pants :/
    A lot of IM networks use a similar method as it saves on server load (the servers only have to handle logins and name changes and so on) and thus money.
    AOL, as far as I can remember (awful, awful program) has a monitored system where all messages go through the central server so they can cut you off if you speak English and not 40|_ 5q33kz OMG LOLZORZ!!1 (AOL speak or LEET for idiots).
    Basic overview of P2P networking (written for delphi, but the network descriptions apply anywhere).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • tobytoby Beginner Link Clerk
    trying to get insperation for your college atempt to make a Lan messenger python? :P
    ufjoin_blue.gif
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    well no... I was just curious as to how it works :P

The Royal Ram

Creating a chat server and client isn't hard at all. In fact, a book I have on Java has a step-by-step walk through.
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Sounds kind of cool...
    Whats the book called?

The Royal Ram

"Head First Java" by O'Reilly.