Your preferred portable storage medium.

NuvoNuvo Forum LeaderVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
I was thinking about random stuff at work to do with programming (I'm such a nerd that while I'm at work, I try and figure out how to code stuff) and I was thinking of how to make a program to do a set task and still keep it small enough to be used from a protable storage device.
This, in turn brought me to query what kind of storage device, and thus this poll came about.
Basically, what do you prefer to use to cart all your personal junk around?
I mostly use USB pen drives since any computer with USB support will pick them up and access them without extra hardware, which is the only gripe I have with media cards (I own 2 MS PRO Duo cards and a Compact Flash card).
If I know that the computer or whatever has support for MemoryStick Duo or Compact Flash, I'll use that as they are smaller, but USB is still my first choice.
CD's and DVD's aren't really practical IMHO for carting files around since unless you buy rewritable, they are single use and if they get dirty or scratched, you lose everything.
PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
Current project: CMS Object.
Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
Release date: NEVER!!!

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I'm not sure.
    I mean, I have a preffered thing, but dunno what it is. Your poll confused me.
    I always thought that a memory stick was the same as a (USB) pen.
    I have 2 devices about a 6cm by 1cm by 0.5cm which have a lid over one end covering a usb connection to go directly into a usb port...
    Which is that? Or is your poll wrong?
    I have had the 128MB for a while now and at one point I tried to keep all my GCSE stuff on it at once so I always had anything, and never had to wqorry about what to put on and what to not, etc.
    But more recently I got a 256MB one which I use now. ;)
    I'm loving' it.
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    usb pen drive, although my mp3 player lets you store anything on it so would most likely end up being that
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Memory Stick is the Sony media card format.
    It comes in Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo formats with Duo cards being smaller (they can work with the standard MS readers using a convertor which many cards come with as the only real difference is the size of the cards).
    http://www.memorystick.com/en/

Some sites do call USB pen drives memory sticks, but they are incorrect in doing so.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Ah, ok. I can vote now... :)
  • ViperViper Senior Member The Royal RAM
    pen drive definatley...if you have gt a good one then it will store a lot of stuff....and its also very small and handy!
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Looks like USB/ thumb drives wins whits vote with 6... so far

The Royal Ram

• mate_plmate_pl Junior Member NAT Warrior
    7 by now!

I have 1 gig drive for 4-5 months by bow and everywhere i go it is with me... The last thing I made is that I installed Portable Thunderbird on it and I don't have to use webmail anywhere, just plug my USB pen or USB key or whatever you call this excelent piece of harware...
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    portable thunderbird? Ill have to look into that one ;)

The Royal Ram