vBulletin / IPB

danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P.VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
Im thinking about buying a bulletin board for me site...and was wondering which one you guys think is better.

ive already bought ipb, all i need to do is pay up...money order :)

but vbulletin is a bit expensive for me...160 bucks
while ipb is only 69.99 for 1 year license/updates

any suggestions?
ban1.gif

Comments

• martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    vBulletin is way better!

Thats all i have to say :D
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    I personally think that vBulletin is better. Although ive never used and dont even know what the premium IPB has to offer.. But compraed to the old free version of IPB I rather vBulletin

The Royal Ram

• FelixFelix Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Don't bother wasting your money. There is an excellent free forum system that is much better than the likes of vBulletin and IPB.

http://www.simplemachines.org

SMF is fantastic. :)

Edit: Also if you don't like SMF check out http://www.birdboard.org

:)
  • danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    somehow i like ipb better i dont know...i know vbulletin is better in terms of coding but ipb just LOOKS better...ive ....cough...downloaded....cough... versions of ipb before and the admin panel is a helluva of better than vbulletin
    overall i think it has a better interface...but i want to see what other people think
    ban1.gif
    wow awesome felix...though sad to say looks like sh**
    can it be customized?
    ban1.gif
    danielneri wrote:
    wow awesome felix...though sad to say looks like sh**
    can it be customized?

What one? Both of those two I suggested can easily be customised. They may not look the best but they have excellent functionality, security and features. :D
    i dont do betas felix so not the bird thingy but the other one i thought was quite excellent!
    ban1.gif
    SMF I heard is quite good never tried it myself though

The Royal Ram

danielneri wrote:
    i dont do betas felix so not the bird thingy but the other one i thought was quite excellent!

Yeah well it doesn't hurt to give it a try seeing as it is free. If you don't like you can always switch over. Why waste money on a license for vbulletin or IPB when you can have an alternative free system instead. ;)
    I guess it all comes down to preference in the end... but feel free to experiment with new forum systems... Maybe try out some of the free ones on a non-live site or in a hidden directory so you can see which ones you prefer...

The Royal Ram

yeah im probably going to end up trying those 2...lets see
    ban1.gif
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    SMF is the best thing since Stevie Wonder.
    I would personally never buy a piece of forum software since I found it.
    Unless they started charging for it, in which case I would pay whatever they wanted for it, if I really needed a forum.
    strong support there eyy cbg

too many opinions, dont know what to go with now

what im thinking is well i can start off with SMF and then IF NEED BE move on to something like vbulletin or ipb after a few months if im not satisfied with SMF
    ban1.gif
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    It always used to be that IPB was free like phpBB and that they were very much alike except that phpBB hogged more bandwidth, but was still slightly more popular.
    So, I would doubt I would ever pay any money for IPB, unless I saw vast improvements.
    The great thing is that you can get free converters to convert from one forum system to another... only available for the more common ones though...

The Royal Ram

for smf??
    ban1.gif
    Not sure... maybe... It is fairly popular so there might be one or two available... maybe check up on it first though...

Just go to the site of the forum you want to covert it to and ask... youve got to get a converter from the forum you want to convert to... so they might have one...

The Royal Ram

interesting...im considering looking into this smf business...
    ban1.gif
  • ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    I own both IPB and vB, and I prefer vB. I've used SMF, too (helping a friend run a forum with SMF, actually) and if I had to choose a free board, it'd be that.

IPB is almost on par with vB feature-wise (though I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to do a lot of the permission-based restrictions I use when running vB, for example). The biggest thing that sets them apart for me is the actual company. IPS has got to be one of the worst companies I've had the displeasure of working with online. Comparing the level of service and even the tone of communication between customer and provider that I get with vB and IPS, there is a noticeable difference.
    my final decision: smf for a while, then im going to vb

or maybe ill just go straight to vb...damn funds are tight...
    ban1.gif
    Well maybe run SMF for a while and in that time you can gather some money together. When youve got enough go for vBulletin :)

The Royal Ram

excellent idea
    ban1.gif
    Well thats what I done with this site anyway... Believe it or not but this forum originally ran phpBB... back in the day ;)

The Royal Ram

wow cant believe thats
    ban1.gif
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    i remember that
    ive been looking at smf myself but ended up going with phpbb for the time being because if i need to make changes to it i can do i understand the code