Pointless Thread

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
Posting rates have been fairly low recently... but lets get them going again in a fun way...

Use this thread to talk about absolutely anything (keeping in the rules of course ;))

Someone start :D

The Royal Ram

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I just watched HeavyWeights. Still as good as it used to be when I saw it about 3 times a year about 6 years ago...
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    HeavyWeights? Whats that?

Is that some sort of body building programme or something?

The Royal Ram

It's a film about a summer camp for fat kids.
    It's amazing fun and what-not until taken over by a fitness freak, etc...
  • martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    Fat people!?
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
    Like me.

._.
    Doesnt sound like my kind of thing really...

Simpsons - now thats a program everyone has got to like :D

The Royal Ram

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Apparently, Google is up to something... Something big.
    If you're a google nerd, you'll know that two of the jokes that have been going about since started branching out are that they'll probably end up releasing an OS and that they could end up creating an ISP.

Well, Google recently pushed Microsoft's nose out by purchasing 5% of AOL from AOL Time Warner who own AOL as well as the Warner Bros. media company for a considerable amount of money (both are multi-billion dollar corporations who do multi-billion dollar deals).
    Because Google now partly owns AOL (albeit, only 5%, which was enough to crush any deal Microsoft was thinking of) and they have been buying unused fiberoptic cables throughout America, they could be going some way to getting more ISP powers.
    Not to say that you'll get Google broadband, but if Google lets AOL use whatever "dark fiber" they own but don't need, they could push their way further into AOL, possibly forming an alliance like that we have in Britain in the form of BT Yahoo!

As for the Google OS, don't be supprised.
    Current rumours going around are that on the 6th, google is going to go public with their latest crackpot scheme.
    The thing is, many places seem to think that this will be a small and affordable computer called a Google Cube.
    Reports online are somewhat shady and still have it down as a rumour, but according to The Sun newspaper, Walmwart will be selling them after breaking a deal with Google (the only company walmart is actually scared of) and ASDA, which is now the British arm of Walmart is quoted as saying that if they can get hold of such a thing through their parent company, it may go on sale here too (if it's real, of course).
    If this is indeed true, the system is suspected to cost about £150 in America, which would make it very affordable indeed.
    For £150, which is somewhere around $300, I wouldn't expect a gaming machine, but a reasonable internet and basic office system would be possible, especially since the Sun also reported that it would indeed use a Google developed OS (probably based on Linux with a Gecko or KHTML based browser and Google's own messenger program).

Speculation and shady newspaper articles are king!
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    The OS is old news, as far as I'm concerned.
    It seems logical to me.

Now, the Cube...
    Hardly original ->http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_500_cube.html
    And then there is the "Affordable Mac", which, I admit, is still not cheap -> http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/stats/mac_mini_g4_1.42.html

The ISP is news to me - would be neat, I'm sure.
    Granted, the small form cube idea isn't origional, though Apple's G4 Cube was, if I'm not mistaken, panned quite a bit for being too expencive for just the box and the fact that you could pay the same amount and get better specs and it's still true today (I forsee this happening even after the Intel change due to some of Apple's decisions relating to how they handle upgrades and their branding).
    The small form mac mini isn't really worth the price tag.
    Once you add the price of the screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers, it's no cheaper than going down to Tesco or wherever and buy a PC with a screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers :/
    I was actually interested in the mini when it was first released, but I read a review of it on an Apple user site and they found that it was actually slower than a similar spec Apple laptop (ironic since it's basically a laptop, but not portable).
    I think apple already had ot's own linux based server OS running on it's servers, so an OS from them wouldn't be such a big thing.
    The main benefits of a Google OS would be the inbuilt file system search and managment features and integration with their internet tools.
    It's be awsome if they did make a small PC and if it was based in a similar case to the origional backrub setup... LEGO PC cases are fun :P

The ISP thing is just wild speculation from sites like gizmodo, but they are buying the high speed cabling that America laready has waiting to be bought and they have offered free WiFi to people in and around the Googleplex.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Nuvo wrote:
    Granted, the small form cube idea isn't origional, though Apple's G4 Cube was, if I'm not mistaken, panned quite a bit for being too expencive for just the box and the fact that you could pay the same amount and get better specs and it's still true today (I forsee this happening even after the Intel change due to some of Apple's decisions relating to how they handle upgrades and their branding).
    The small form mac mini isn't really worth the price tag.
    Once you add the price of the screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers, it's no cheaper than going down to Tesco or wherever and buy a PC with a screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers :/

It's not meant to be.
    It's the "Affordable Mac" == A Mac that is Affordable.
    Nuvo wrote:
    I was actually interested in the mini when it was first released, but I read a review of it on an Apple user site and they found that it was actually slower than a similar spec Apple laptop (ironic since it's basically a laptop, but not portable).

Depends which laptop, I believe the specs were a little better than the low-end iBooks at the time of release.
    Maybe not now - depends if the Mini has been improved as much as the iBooks.
    Nuvo wrote:
    I think apple already had ot's own linux based server OS running on it's servers, so an OS from them wouldn't be such a big thing.

Uh... Of course Apple has an OS... Mac OS, anyone?
    GAH!
    I mean Google :P
    Also, Apple's OS is based on unix, not linux.

Granted, £300 isn't much if you already have some of the kit, or can get it from somewhere like ebay, but Apple is well known for making systems which just aren't good value for money in terms of hardware specifications.
    IBM's PowerPC architecture is somewhat poor when compared to the now mature x86 architecture that Intel thought up and PPC CPU's are more expencive, but at least this isn't going to be a problem anymore.
    The Powermac G5 was actually included in a test of what PCPlus magazine was, at the time, classing as ultimate level systems and while the OS got good marks (lets face it, OS X is more advanced and secure than windows), the hardware was a letdown (for the same ammount of cash, you could buy a full PC that would run most of the stuff that'd test top spec hardware and you'd get the whole multiple drives and ports galore appeal.

I'm not doubting the quality of Apple's hardware or software, but I would hazard a guess that a noticable amount of cash that you're paying for their hardware is because of their branding (if I could get a cheap mac that's work well but just looks like a plain box with no apple logo or shiny bits, I'd be happy with that as I don't need a "lifestyle" PC).
    The G5 level imac is a sweet bit of kit, if not overly powerful when compared to a full sized linux or windows PC, but then again, OS X uses less resources than windows for the same functionality (pretty much like any non microsoft OS, but linux often makes it more tricky).
    Don't get me wrong, I love some of the concepts that Apple has when it comes to their operating system just as much as I like using ubuntu or mandrake with KDE (yeah, it's mandriva now, but it wasn't the last time I used it), but for what I do with my PC (a bit of programming and web surfing), I don't see much point in shelling out more than I have to.
    This is mainly down to the fact that when I started using a computer that wasn't my parents, I didn't have much of an income and though I only get paid about £150 a week, I now have up to £100 to spare a week, but this mentality has stuck.
    Many have tried to sell the apple ideoligy to me and failed based only on the price of hardware (basically, if I had a fair bit of cash to spend on a computer, I'd think of getting a mac, but I don't).
    It'd also be worth waiting a good 6 to 12 months now before buying an apple computer anyway since they want Intel systems to completely replace their PPC based systems in their store by 2007.
  • lozzas1810lozzas1810 Senior Member The Royal RAM
    erm sumin pointless to tlk bout....i aint tlkin bout celebrity big brother cos tht is crap, just a load of old celebs tryin to regain their fame...erm...i'll just tell everyone how great i think it is to be bk in skl (i neva thought i'd be sayin tht) but i got quite bored after havin 3 weeks off and i missed my m8z, but i definetly didnt miss all the coursework which i av to do this weekend - well there is my pointless post !
    devspc3.gif
  • ViperViper Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Is it me or does Nuvo post loads? :)
    I'm back in college on Monday, and as ever, left all my work to do the weekend before it's due. Heh.
    Does any one love sheep?

Yeh.....im frm wales so its religion like:P
    Im frm wales too doi! :p

and me :D

The Royal Ram

*sigh*...

I never knew there was a second Nutty Professor movie... Heh. ;)
    This is the only forum I have ever been on where most of the active users are Welsh :/
    Usually, it's the Americans, Asians (Japan and South Korea) or Europeans as a whole.
    Speaking of South Korea, our technology sucks compared to theirs.
    We have an average of 2MBps broadband while theirs is around 100MBps, though there were reports of some company over in Asia thinking of releasing 1GBps home internet (download the same amount as a DVD in a matter of minutes, yes please!).

Why am I still online at almost 11.30?
    1GBPS - Now that would be good... just imagine how fast the average website would load... The computer probably would be the part slowing it down...

The Royal Ram

Nuvo wrote:
    Why am I still online at almost 11.30?

That's nothing...
    I often find myself still online at 5:30... AM!
    I stopped asking myself "Why..." months ago. :rog: :rog: :rog:
    Im online till that sort of time quite often :D I usually regret it in the morning though when I have to wake up for college...

The Royal Ram

lmao...im like tht sometimes:P not as often as python tho!
    coding PHP at 5 in the mornin, 2nd night in a row - just doesnt go too good when youve got to wake up at 7 :D

The Royal Ram

Ok just to keep this thread going... someone reply ;)

The Royal Ram

/me replies.
    Oceans Eleven is on. ._.
    lmao....tht is a good film ;)
  • lozzas1810lozzas1810 Senior Member The Royal RAM
    lol i av neva watched it but i just thought i wuld post anyway
    devspc3.gif