PhysX Processor

TheDonkeyTheDonkey Junior MemberShared Hoster
Check this thing out...looks pretty cool hopefully it will catch on, but then again that means one more thing to buy for your machine....here is the link

http://www.ageia.com/products/physx.html
Capt. D
F18_468x60.jpg

Comments

• danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    old news, but fascinating technology
    ban1.gif
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yeah, Nintendo were rumoured to be putting PPU's into the Revolution, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see as they are being more secrative than a secretive ninja monkey clan that's hiding in Afhanistan with Osama Bin Laden :/
    The main problem at the moment with this kind of thing is that you'd need a main board / mobo which supports it and software which can access it.
    I don't know of any systems which actually use such a processor (though I'm not saying they don't exist) and I'd assume that systems which do support Pysics Processing Units are more expencive.

This technology is definitely going to be of interest to animators and scientists as it will probably allow them to offload work which would usually be lumped onto their CPU's.
    It goes without saying that Linux has been picking up the pace over the last few years, and if more people follow the example set by the team behind Lord of the Rings 2, 3D animators could use this to help cut the burden on their main processors, thus allowing them to do more with the same hardware (once you've cut the performance overhead that windows has, the graphics rendering which graphics cards handle and the physics which a PPU could deal with out of the equation, the CPU could do a fair bit more and if you used Linux, you'd also cut out any costs related to actually getting the OS and you could use mostly common components rather than Apple's overly costly powermac or server stuff (a fair amount of which is the same as in a normal PC anyway, especially now they use x86 CPU's)).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • TheDonkeyTheDonkey Junior Member Shared Hoster
    danielneri wrote:
    old news, but fascinating technology

Old news maybe the company and the concept but they have been stepping it up recently...

http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/

The new news is it is actually be implemented more...and may actually become something...not just an idea (the old news)
    Capt. D
    F18_468x60.jpg