Clean computer.

NuvoNuvo Forum LeaderVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
Ok, so I've just been doing some file managment, and it got me wondering.
Do you keep your computer clean and organized, or is it messy?

Personally, I have 2 desktop icons (my NTFS partitions) and all my files are organized into directories like so:
  • Documents: Text documents and such.
  • Graphics: Images and screenshots.
  • Music: Audio files, songs and such.
  • Video: Movie files (don't know why I chose Video over Movies for the name).
  • Web: Web developemtn files live here and can be accessed by Apache as if they were in a subdirectory called dev (localhost/dev/).
I find it much easier to locate files in a file browser if I do things this way and I don't much like getting a good looking desktop and then throwing half a million icons over it (you're not supposed to store things on your desktop anyway, just links when needed).
PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
Current project: CMS Object.
Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
Release date: NEVER!!!

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Well I have my drive partitioned into 4 sections.

C: Windows Installation
    F: Storage(store music, videos, software etc)
    G: Projects (this is where I develop my website and store their files)
    H: Games (games installed to this drive)
    I: Other (default download dir + any other stuff)

I try to keep my pc as organised as possible although if im in a rush then it can quite easily get messy

The Royal Ram

• martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    My computer is amazingly messy, There was one time where i had a hard drive which was for Music, Videos, Pictures and random stuff. Then another for Windows and programs and a development partition.

Now everything has sloshed to gether and is a real mess. One day ill format (Or buy a new computer) And be nice and organized but i know as well as you do that it will last a week before its a complete state again :p
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I just installed the KDE desktop for Linux and then modded it to look like OS X.
    That thing, despite not looking perfectly like OS X, was quite pretty (with the animated dock and a finder style thing).
    It was pretty neat, but it was KDE and I cannot use KDE because if you strip out it's effects (some of which look cheap anyway), you get something that's not as nice as Gnome.
    The desktop it gave me was very clean and pretty functional, but it was a pain to set up (Gnome is so easy to work with).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    mines relatively neat. i usually store everything i do in my documents, code etc. which is very organized according to what project it belongs too.

my desktop is extremely cluttered though, but i dont really care :p

..ok just finished cleaning up my entire desktop...much needed.

heres a shot: http://www.vipercreations.com/portal/data/desktopclean.PNG
    ban1.gif
  • WordsmithWordsmith Junior Member Link Clerk
    My computer is messy! It was much easier to take care of things when I used a Pentium 1 with 1.2 Gig hard drive LOL! With these new huge amounts of space everything tends to get lost and I don't feel the need to do any housecleaning. I DID finally clean up my desktop a few weeks ago since I had about 40 or so icons on it!
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    I'm another one with a messy computer. Just not enough time in a day :(