MS SQL and MySQL?

MGDesignsMGDesigns AdminVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
Hi everyone!

I have apache testing server set up on my PC with MySQL but Lurk wants to install Microsoft Visual Studio Express and I was wondering if MS SQL and MySQL would conflict with one another?

Thanks!
Moddy
A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
-
ModGirl Design
My ArtWanted Portfolio
Renderosity Gallery

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Microsoft's SQL server and the mySQL SQL server are two different things.
    So long as they are installed into different directories, you shouldn't have a problem.
    You just need to remember to connect to the right one when doing any development... (thinking you've lost your data when it's really on the other DB server isn't fun)
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Thanks Nuvo :D
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • JaredRitcheyJaredRitchey Moderator: Design Team Shared Hoster
    Be sure to keep MySQL on its native 3306 port and if MS SQL is to be installed as part of the IIS WebDev package then default installations of SQL Server monitor TCP port 1433 and UDP port 1434.

I've had both running as services under WinXP Pro for a local WAMP (windows, apache, mysql, php) server to test some php stuff I was doing with a PHP-IDE called PHPEdit Professional and never had a problem until I ran VSExpress then it would simply reboot on me giving me stop errors. I had to configure all my SQL settings to start "MANUAL" instead of "AUTOMATIC"

Just an FYI.

~ Jared
    signature? whats a signature?
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Thanks for the advice Jared :D
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery