ACP Tips

coolhomecoolhome Junior MemberShared Hoster
Here are some times i made up for ppl with a admin panel set up in there site.

1.) Dont make a folder called /_admin/, /admin/, /admin_/ with ACP in there.
2.) Dont create a file named acp.php, admin.php, _admin.php

I seen many sites like that. Many ppl try those folders / files to get into your site. Just some tips xD

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Yes but as long as its protected well enough and coded right then that shouldnt really matter. If your admin panels security is good enough to prevent people from breaking in then it shouldnt be online - hiding the folder isnt all that safe...

For example the admin panel for this site is fairly obvious and easy to get to - but in order to get in you muts be logged into this forum with administrator privelages + have an extra password ;)

The Royal Ram

• coolhomecoolhome Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Python wrote:
    Yes but as long as its protected well enough and coded right then that shouldnt really matter. If your admin panels security is good enough to prevent people from breaking in then it shouldnt be online - hiding the folder isnt all that safe...

For example the admin panel for this site is fairly obvious and easy to get to - but in order to get in you muts be logged into this forum with administrator privelages + have an extra password ;)
    Thats true true and true. BUt i seen many unsecured sites.
  • joshlljoshll Junior Member Shared Hoster
    if they get hacked you get a more secure host, those unsecure sites willl be with hosting for $0.50 per month
    i spend $395.95 on m hosting
    i have an Xeon Power dual 80 GB hard drives (160 GB)
    and unmetered BW line.
    also got 5 cisco redundants if i need them
    my site will be very secure, only because i dont look for that server lese where,
    i can get that for $169 but it wouldnt be managed and i would only have 2 cisco redundants and it wouldnt be secure.
    i can get it for $65 at HiVelocity.
    but it would be crap.
    Adult Advisor :cool:
    Adult Section Leader :cool:
    Pimp ;)
  • JoeRightJoeRight Beginner Link Clerk
    This kinda caught my eye. Can I ask a stupid question? What is ACP. Can anybody explain that to me.
    Untie The Knot Divorce Services.
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Administrative Control Panel.
    Basically, if you've got a site using dynamic content, you'll need to use one of these at some point.
    They are mainly used for things like posting content (unless you have another control panel for content addition), editing settings, skins and user managment.

Telling people not to call their directories common names isn't really Earth shattering information if you know how to build a secure control panel, especially if you're using a system like Ruby on Rails or Django, where the admin part of the URL might not relate to a directory, but to an item that would usually appear as part of a query string (Rails allows for URL's such as site.com/admin/edit/123 instead of site.com/admin.php?act=edit&id=123).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • ryanryan Beginner Link Clerk
    most sites have admincp aswell as hosintg control panels