Networking

MGDesignsMGDesigns AdminVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
This may seem an incredibly stupid question but I have to ask...
If your Internet connection dies but the router is still able to communicate with PCs and both PCs can see each other, is it the ISP, cable modem or the router causing the problem? :baby:

I had this problem earlier on with Telewest, they made me disconnect the router and connect the modem directly to the PC had me doing all this crap in Start > Run and none of it worked and they just wouldn't listen at all when I told them repeatedly that the cable light on the modem was flashing and there was no data light at all, then the phone cut off! To top it all the cable TV channels vanished too and they still insisted on blaming the router? :rolleyes:

Hmmm anyway I got my net connection back about an hour ago, I hope it behaves itself!!! :banghead:
A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
-
ModGirl Design
My ArtWanted Portfolio
Renderosity Gallery

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Depends really.
    If your PC's can see each other, it's probably not your router dropping connections.
    Often, it will be the ISP that's to blame as some larger companies do offer really bad service, such as BT (damn you to hell, no wonder the post office is launching it's own phone services after you split from them and fell apart... Yeah, BT used to be part of the British postal service).
    Smaller services tend to offer better service apparently.
    Look at TalkTalk, they started offering free 8meg broadband with their phone package and they got something like 3 times the number of users they expected, and that awas in a few weeks of it starting... Sky also does it now with their digital packages

Sometimes, it can be due to a dud modem, or even a fault in the wiring of your phone line (I had this problem, thanks again for nothing BT!).
    When I had NTL: broadband, I used to constantly lose the connection unless I got lucky and managed to stay online with one PC as they used to cut you off and then send the bill (their computers are incredibly stupid like that).
    At one point, they cut me off, we refused to pay on the grounds of recieving an almost unusual service and I still managed to get it online (and they gave us some free service time or something).

Telewest sucks by the way.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Thanks Nuvo :hippy2:

I was with NTL and BT when I lived in Scotland and their services sucked. I was still with BT when moving to Gateshead and it took them 3 months to get me re-connected and then tried to charge me for it grrrrrrrr. So losing patience I took Telewest up on their 3 for ?30 a month deal, was getting a minimal 256k from a 1MB connection and that was long before the router cause I only had the one PC.
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery