The Q & A Thread

MGDesignsMGDesigns AdminVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
While I'm sitting here wishing the school holidays would end I thought I'd be incredibly nosy and find out as much as I can about all of our members :D

So here goes :baby:

1. Are you self-taught, have formal training or a bit of both?
2. During the time you're not online what are you most likely to be doing?
3. How many gaming consoles do you own?
4. Do you buy new software as soon as it hits the market?
5. Would you consider yourself a geek? :cool:

Feel free to add more questions :angel_not:
A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
-
ModGirl Design
My ArtWanted Portfolio
Renderosity Gallery

Comments

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    MGDesigns wrote:

Good questions!
    1) Formal training in Government/Political Science but when it comes to websites self taugh/still learning. I've got a lot to learn hoping you guys can teach me
    2) When I'm not online, I'm sleeping and dreaming about being online (yup I'm that addicted)
    3) None, I used to be addicted to Diablo/Diable2 on the PC. I lost a good 6 months of my life playing that thing night and day :o
    What a waste of time! I wish I had been building sites for those 6 months :blow:
    4) I wait on the software until I really need it. At this point, I have made those software guys too rich, try not to buy too much.
    5) Hmmm... since my family is all like, "Go get a girlfriend", and I'm like, "But I don't have time, I NEED to build more sites, I think that would quilify. Has anyone else chosen the internet over finding love?

Now Moddy, not so fast, you have to also go back and answer those questions :D
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Damn ya noticed I never answered huh? :rofl:

1. Are you self-taught, have formal training or a bit of both? I'm mostly self-taught. I tried the whole college thing a few times, managed to get myself a few qualifications but when you apply to do a course on Multimedia Design, the last thing you expect is to spend the first 6 months in Microsoft Office learning how to type, send e-mails or create useless spreadsheets, especially when its a HND (Higher National Diploma) course. I lost patience, I was months ahead of everyone else cause I covered everything in high school.

Reading everything and anything I can get my grubby little hands on. I watch TV too but not a huge amount I'm glued to programmes like Criminal Minds, CSI and Commander in Chief which has just finished broadcasting *sob sob*.

None myself but there are two PS2s, XBox, SNES, N64, PSOne, Gamecube and an Amstrad CPC464 in the house. The Gamecube, PSOne and a PS2 belong to my son and the rest belong to my fiance.

Nope, but I do get the trials to see if its something I'd want to invest LurkinBack's hard-earned money on LOL

5. Would you consider yourself a geek?
    Yep and it all started with my big brothers Spectrum ZX and CB Radio, that he didn't have a clue how to use to their full extent *snicker* I've been out of the geek closet since I was around 7 :D

6.Has anyone else chosen the internet over finding love?
    Yes, but I also found love on the net (as sad as it sounds). I found a programming geek :D
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    1. Are you self-taught, have formal training or a bit of both? I'm due to start my second year of college in September. This past year I studied Maths, physics, Business Studies and I.C.T. I'm going to drop either Maths or I.C.T, depending on results in 2-3 weeks. As for web stuff, HTML, CSS, PHP, all self-taught.

During what time exactly?
    You mean when I sleep..? Well... I sleep then...

Ok, I got a DS, PS2, GBColour and half of a N64.
    I never play any, I even let my (older) brother keep the PS2 in his room since he occasionally plays on it.

"Buy"? I know not what you mean by this...

Well, secretively... yes. I sure hope others do, it's pretty much my goal in life...
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    Are you self-taught, have formal training or a bit of both?
    i have a bachelor degree and an mba degree :) which are usefully in my job. as for webmastering, everything is self taught... i webmaster as a hobby and my latest project is http://www.indexscript.com and http://www.indexskins.com - not too bad for a hobbyist...

During the time you're not online what are you most likely to be doing?
    family time is very important to me - i fly around the region (a couple of countries) very very very frequently and am hardly at home..

How many gaming consoles do you own?
    erm... what are gaming consoles? :) just joking - i don't own any... i'm an old fart...

Do you buy new software as soon as it hits the market?
    nope, all paid for by company

Would you consider yourself a geek?
    a geek? probably so - since i'm a techie at work... :)
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I haven't had any formal training in web development, desktop application development or design, it's all self taught.
    In fact, a lot of my knowlage comes from learning via the internet, books and Discovery Channel (strangely, I didn't learn that much about Hitler from Discovery, even though 50% of all their shows are about him).
    My school let me down and I got attacked twice when I was at college studying animal welfare (leads to vetenary and law and since most failed vets become doctors, I'd be hacking up people or something :D).
    In school, I managed to get into the top sets for English (for speaking despite speach problems), science (but my reports said "must do homework"), I.T. (well yeah, I program and run Linux, what do I have to learn from them?) and Geography, so I didn't do badly before they screwed me over.

Well, since my lame BT broadband does like to drop connections sometimes, I often either keep coding (I have local Apache 2 and WEBrick servers with PHP 5, mySQL, Postgres and Rails), play on one of my consoles, watch a DVD or restart my system so the stupid BT WiFi router allows me back on.

PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS Lite and a PSP at the moment.

Buy...? Software...?
    I don't understand... I don't pay for software, but don't warez it either (SourceForge and Synaptic give me what I need for free).

if query != "Do you hate geeks"
    answer = "Yes"
    render :text => answer
    elsif query == "Do you like thinkgeek?"
    render :partial => 'lovethinkgeek'
    end

Yes :[
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • Awakened-SouljaAwakened-Soulja Beginner Link Clerk
    Im taught in college and Im also self-taught at home to do courses from "Home Learning College".

Sleeping :)

XBox - The Best! :)

Is this a trick question :P? Nope i dont, i have an alternative lol.

A computer geek, YES lol.
    Nuvo wrote:
    6.Has anyone else chosen the internet over finding love?[/b]
    Yes :[

Thank you for being honest Nuvo! Misery loves company :glasses:

The weird thing is I'm more happy now, glued to the internet, than when I was actively dating.

I really don't miss it
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    Self taught...never had the patience to follow tutorials
    Photography, repairing computers, and other unmentionable things :P
    No I always download a demo first then test the daylights out of it, then I look to see what support or addons you can get for it, then I may consider purchase
    Ah if being a knowledgeable female is a geek then yes ;)
    My Gallery
    WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
    Founder of TWInc
    Profession: KMA
    I am not a purple people eater :p
    Katra wrote:
    Ah if being a knowledgeable female is a geek then yes ;)...
    but the million dollar question is whether this knowledgeable female is hot too... :D
    Thank you for being honest Nuvo! Misery loves company :glasses:

The weird thing is I'm more happy now, glued to the internet, than when I was actively dating.

I really don't miss it
    Dating?
    I don't understand... What is this dating?

Seriously, as a kid I was usually the one who didn't really hang around with others as being able to do high school homework in primary school, being pacifistic and watching Anime weren't really the best things for a persons popularity.

Despite not being a fighter, I did manage to break someone's wrist, but if she didn't punch me, she wouldn't have hit my shoulder blade, which is what caused it as I didn't lift a finger (she hit me and came in the next day with her arm in a pot).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    damn!!! you broke a ladies' wrist? yucks!!! i bet the blokes must have talked about that for ages... :D
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    daboss wrote:
    but the million dollar question is whether this knowledgeable female is hot too... :D

Definately, without a doubt lol
    My Gallery
    WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
    Founder of TWInc
    Profession: KMA
    I am not a purple people eater :p
    I have photo's will sell to the highest bidder :rofl:

*runs and hides*
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    MGDesigns wrote:

1. Self Taught, I did take a class a long time ago when I was 13 or so. But I didn't learn anything new.
    2. Spending time with the girlfriend, working, sleeping, going to school.
    3. Three... kinda, 2 PS2's and an Xbox
    4. Naw, I usually don't need it or I find it pirated...I mean... I borrow it from a friend.
    5. I'd like to think I'm not but my girlfriend insists.
    daboss wrote:
    damn!!! you broke a ladies' wrist? yucks!!! i bet the blokes must have talked about that for ages... :D
    Well, since I didn't do anything but provide a calcium laced target for her lame assed punch, you could say she broke it...
    Never punch someone who enjoys milk and uses it to treat athsma (goats milk is supposedly good for it, but whatever... So long as it's not that French horse milk stuff :[).
    MGDesigns wrote:
    Yes, but I also found love on the net (as sad as it sounds). I found a programming geek :D

Moddy! That is such a cool story how it worked out for you like that :). Now if only the girl/guy ratio wasn't so one sided at geek sites :(

But hey, seems like it's slowly getting better. I remeber when there were almost no girls at webmaster forums.
    Wasn't that about 6 months ago though DX?
    Nuvo wrote:
    Wasn't that about 6 months ago though DX?

LOL! :rofl:
    LOL Close Bryant but wrong post :rofl:

HINT:- look for where Katra's photograph is mentioned ;)
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery