Flash, distracting or essential?

Flash is one of those things that can make or break a site depending on how its done.

Here are some summary facts about Flash that one should consider before using it.

Bad flash no matter how you stack it is bad flash.... lots of sites have flash for the sake of having it and its not always the best idea if its poorly designed.

Flash does not index well in search engines (well, partly true) Flash CAN index in search engines but not always and the reasons are generally simple. It has to do with the nature of the links code in the flash and the type of link. More on this in a later post.

Flash reloads with every page reload, beating up the band width, again, somewhat true but not the whole picture. Flash is an embedded object in the HTML and loads each time from cache once its loaded with most browsers EXCEPT IE. There is a little code snippt that you can use to reduce the load issue in IE (which has problems with image caching)

HTACCESS file contents
#Put this in your HTACCESS file to stop screen flicker in IE
BrowserMatch "MSIE" brokenvary=1
BrowserMatch "Mozilla/4.[0-9]{2}" brokenvary=1
BrowserMatch "Opera" !brokenvary
SetEnvIf brokenvary 1 force-no-vary

ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault A18000
ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000
ExpiresByType image/png A2592000

Real good flash can be expensive if you are not the designer. A clients site we finished recently had flash done by Billy Busey and cost nearly $3,000 for the header alone. The learning curve is what keeps most designers out of the flash market because in order to do flash well you have to spend a great deal of time getting it right so not to repeat bad practices later.

~ Jared
signature? whats a signature?

Comments

• MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Thanks for the educational tip :D
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Thank you for posting that.
    Compared to other languages, do you enjoy working with flash or is it just difficult?
  • LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Thanks for the tip! I best start learning some good practices lol
  • mavmav Beginner Link Clerk
    Personally, I think flash is best used for designers portfolio, navigations, and small banners. I don't like waiting for things to load, and I don't like 5 millions blaring sound effects.

If its done right, its amazing, if its done wrong, it turns me away.
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I can't stand background music whether is on flash based sites or not, it drives me batty LOL
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • There's any number of necklines that you can select for a mermaid wedding gown, but strapless is definitely the most popular. After all, there is no point in trying to be demure at the top when the whole dress is screaming va va va voom! Even within a strapless neckline, though, there will be some options. Slender brides who are trying to generate the illusion of curves ought to look for sweetheart strapless necklines. Brides who already have all the curves that they require ought to think about straight across necklines, or ones that curve up slightly across the front. When your gown is fitted, you require to make sure that nothing is spilling out from the top!

It would probably be safe to say that all girls - from kids to teens to older women - already have an idea of their perfect wedding gown for their perfect wedding day. And come your wedding day preparation, chances are, your dream wedding gown has a dreamy price tag too. While most brides would consider this to the most important aspect for the whole day, choosing a wedding gown can be stressful especially when your mind wanders from one design to another. One thing we can help you with is not to worry about the price.

****tail dresses ought to be short, first rate, perfectly tailored & made of nice material. The style is elegant & feminine. These aspects ought to not be neglected. Unlike evening dresses, dresses are short & without plenty of details. The length is around the knee & is always made of elegant material: satin, velvet ottomans, stain, silk or lace.

Necklines can be selected from strapless sweetheart, to the shoulder asymmetrical, to narrow pasta straps, halters, and deep v-necks. The strapless necklines are tight, like a corset, and often possess a ruche bodice with boning. The back may even lace up. Prom dresses with straps often have eye-catching jeweled embellishments that transition in to a racer back. So plenty of lovely yet cheap dresses also possess a glitzy brooch or a cluster of jewels, sequins or rhinestones on the waistline or chest. Another contemporary touch is or additional cutouts. Usually, they are on the waist, but they may even be on the back or on the bust.

The kingdom is cut off also common for mermaid wedding gowns. This is the best way to get the visual scene to create higher look. Petite brides want to be what you can handle this kind of siren style and is certainly beautiful. And it is also suitable for women with small breasts and a little less difficult. The size is raised to help your breasts appear fuller. In general, mermaid bridal dresses are very picky about their body counts. Consider the digits of your body, and select the most appropriate style accordingly.

As far as the styles of the short gowns, there's so lots of available. For example, empire waist short dress features an empire high waist which makes your legs look longer than your bodice. Bubble short prom dress with pink- up to skirt dress is characterized as a formal dress with casual picture. It will generate a youthful and cute look.

Where to find brilliant tea length wedding dresses at cheap prices? Reputable web stores are great places to get the best deals. Keep in mind to do some research before making your final decision in order not to get scammed. In addition, make positive to select a style that not only compliments your body type but feels comfortable as well. Wish you an ideal wedding!
  • madelinekimmadelinekim Beginner Link Clerk
    Here you share such a great information about flash that really very nice and informative for all the people. It is true that flash is a wonderful technology to use for creating animated movie in website that help to make web site more interesting and attractive. But there are some disadvantage to use flash in website like its take too much time to load the site.
    Photoshop courses in melbourne