People who matter.

NuvoNuvo Forum LeaderVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
Hello.

So I happened to be reading Loudthinking, the blog of Ruby on Rails creator David Heinemeier Hansson (nice name there) after googling (real word now OMG!) Ruby on Rails blog to see what Rails blogs were out there.
On his blog, he had an entry mentioning CNN's Business 2.0 50 most important people.

As I read through the list, I found it quite interesting as some people are listed for reasons which didn't make them big shots and some aren't billion dollar fat cats.
At the top of the list is the consumer, because without us, every company is bound to fail.
At No. 2 are Google's Sergey Brin and Larry Page, for obvious reasons.
The thing that I liked about the list though (especially since I'm no CNN fanboy) was that it isn't all about rich people.
I have nothing against Google being one of the most influential companies around as I make almost daily pilgrimages to their sites, but I was happy to see Bill Gates on the list for doing something good (helping to fight AIDS) and David outdoing Oprah (stupid daytime TV) and Kevin Rose of Digg fame is tied with Jimmy Wales of Wikipedia.
Youtube's creators are on there as well, albeit trying the "we're successful and sexy" thing and looking like pansies.
It's nice for free and open projects to get some recognition as being on the "rich list" means you have money, not that you've made a difference.

Also, CNN has a list of 10 people and companies that don't matter, which includes Steve Balmer (of "DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS" fame), Slashdot (replaced by Digg), Linus Tolvards (because companies like Red Hat and Novel stole his thunder and improved his creation along with the open source community) and Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg for his somewhat off decision not to sell for more than what MySpace sold for (and lets face facts, for $2billion, you could employ a team of developers to build a better social network and run it for years).

I think it says something when you, as a developer, outstrip Tim O'Rielley (almost ever programming book ever has been published by his company) and Jeff Bezos (Amazon).

list
PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
Current project: CMS Object.
Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
Release date: NEVER!!!

Comments

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Speaking of people making the list, I have a hunch some of us may make this list someday. I expect to see:
    1) Jared making it for revolutionizing how we hire programmers at CodeFreeLance.com
    2) Python for creating the first O.I.T.U. (Online, Interactive, Tutorial, University, where you'll be able to ask the A.I.'s questions as they show you how to design and code.)
    3) and Nuvo for building a new, more secure operating system that get's adopted by the world. It's only downfall will be that he names it xanatubable which most people will not be able to pronounce.

(your name is already on there Moddy, didn't you see it just below Ophra's? :)
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Hah, there's no chance of that happening as I don't program in non-web languages anymore and wouldn't have a clue how to make an OS (especially not one that's not based on Linux and Gnome).
    I did try making my own programming language a while back though based on some old tutorials, but that didn't go so well as the tuts were really old...

I wouldn't have bothered mentioning Disney since Steve Jobs (number 5) might as well own them after selling them Pixar (Jobs is now the majority share holder of Disney after selling them Pixar and stepping out of Pixar's managment).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Nuvo wrote:
    Hah, there's no chance of that happening as I don't program in non-web languages anymore and wouldn't have a clue how to make an OS

Give us a clue then Nuvo, what does the Human Encyclopedia dream of doing in the futre that could land him on that list? :)
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    (your name is already on there Moddy, didn't you see it just below Ophra's? :)

Can't say I did :baby: lol
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Give us a clue then Nuvo, what does the Human Encyclopedia dream of doing in the futre that could land him on that list? :)
    I don't know.
    It'd be nice to invent something like the next MySpace, but I'm so much of a standards freak that I'd go insane if people didn't have working code on their pages.
    If that ever happened though, I'd be selling it as soon as an offer came in, not because I only care about making money (which I don't), but because sites like that will fail in the future, so it's best to let Mr. Moneybags freak out when it does while I'm working on another project on a desert island surrounded by nerds with triple boot Mac's (OS X, Linux and BSD... no Windows or you get thrown into the sea!).
    If only Google didn't exist, we could all aim for something, but they buy what they don't have, throw their power behind what they can't buy and have the best search engine ever :[

I did have an idea for turning my site system into some form of programmers blogging site, but I decided it was a bit of a silly idea as it'd be too much for me and my tiny app.