Dream Machines...

MGDesignsMGDesigns AdminVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
If you had an unlimited amount of money in which to upgrade your current PC...

What would you add to it?
Memory? How much???
Storage?
Graphics Card???

etc...you get the drift right? :baby:

Also, how much would it ALL come to?

I'll be back later with my answers, this needs some thought and research LOL
A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
-
ModGirl Design
My ArtWanted Portfolio
Renderosity Gallery

Comments

• KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    hmmmmm
    My Gallery
    WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
    Founder of TWInc
    Profession: KMA
    I am not a purple people eater :p
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    If I could, I probably wouldn't bother upgrading this one, I'd get the most powerful Intel Mac available and build some stupidly huge storage rig.

If I had to upgrade this one, I'd replace the main board, CPU (to an AMD 64bit model with more power), as much DDR2 RAM as the board could take (since 64bit CPU's allow for 8GB of RAM, but the boards don't), nVidia PCIe GeForce graphics card (or cards if they support SLI and such) with 512MB of RAM, a new case such as the Thermaltake Bach, 16MBPS broadband (you know you would), new keyboard and mouse (bluetooth preffered), previously mentioned huge external storage rig (or possibly an external file server, which I could build as I have an old 953Mhz Duron system in parts which I don't use... Just needs a HDD and OS) & another stupildy oversized LCD screen to go with my current 27" widescreen (but which has a better resolution than 1024x768).

I wouldn't use such a tool of evil for playing games, I'd have Linux on it and use it for developing with all the shiny effects of Compiz and without the overhead from using WiNE to run my old Windows apps.
    I have nothing against Windows, but I don't like using it much and I'd go for OS X if I had the choice of getting a new system to go with my current dev box.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I'd get a ProMac, no point upgrading this...
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    You've thought about this alot haven't you Nuvo? LOL

Certainly sounds like a dream machine to me :D
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    The Thermaltake case alone is in the hundreds and building a large file server (obviously using my lame looking but huge white tower case) would be a bit costly as well, so I can but dream... But if I had it, it'd own all.
    Imagine, you could be downloading some huge file without having it appear on your system as the file server could handle it all for you so long as you tell it what you want and where to get it.
    That would be really handy for getting Linux distro's as although it only takes an hour or so to get them on my connection (especially in torrent form), I hate having apps open to do it and if the server is downloading, your PC isn't.
    I'm pretty sure that with a bit of poking, I could get something like this to work (it's just a matter of being able to log into the server and issue commands by SSH or whatever).

Also, CBG, the G5 PowerMac design + 2x Intel Xeon CPU's (Xeon being server class dual core processors) = :eek:
    Seriously, that thing would only get more sexy if they gave you a cinema monitor with it... and possibly some BA speakers.
    Also, what would you do with 16GB of RAM???
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
  • tec-geektec-geek Beginner Link Clerk
    Let's see...

5GB Video Card
    5GB DDR RAM
    1000GB File Storage
    56" HD LCD Monitor
    T3 Internet
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum PCI Sound Card
    Logitech Z-5500 THX Certified 5.1 500-watt Dolby Digital Speaker System
    AMD Athlon 64 FX Processor
    Danger Den Water Cooling Kit

Let's sum it up and say everything on Tigerdirect .com. :p
    You'd want DDR2 RAM (the Mac Pro is currently the highest RAM consumer system I know of, and yes, it is available to the public... If you're loaded).
    Also, for 5GB of GDDR3, you'd need 5 nVidia GeForce 7950 PCIe cards linked into it and SLI doesn't quite cover linking 5 cards on 5 PCIe slots in one machine, especially since that's a dual GPU card, meaning it takes up two whole expansion slots.
  • whitefangwhitefang Beginner Link Clerk
    tec-geek wrote:
    Let's see...

5GB Video Card
    5GB DDR RAM
    1000GB File Storage
    56" HD LCD Monitor
    T3 Internet
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum PCI Sound Card
    Logitech Z-5500 THX Certified 5.1 500-watt Dolby Digital Speaker System
    AMD Athlon 64 FX Processor
    Danger Den Water Cooling Kit

Let's sum it up and say everything on Tigerdirect .com. :p

Thats quite a system. And yes, I think that I would agree with you on it. Except that I would go for the FIOS large package in my area, rather than a T3, which I could get now if I wanted to. (15MB upstream, 30MB downstream)