Which HTML editor do you use to make webpages?

star123star123 BeginnerLink Clerk
As the subject states says tell me Which HTML editor do you use when creating a webpage?

Well I just find it easier with FrontPage since it gives you the ability to preview the page as you do it. Not only that you have the code right there also, so you can have a split screen; one with html code and the other side with the visual representation of the code....

But I guess if you're very knowledgable in html you could do it with Notepad, but even the experts I know use dreamweaver or frontpage.

Comments

• dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    i exclusively use frontpage for html design... for php, i use wordpad and sometimes notepad.

i hear dreamweaver and phpdesigner is great but i haven't really changed to use those yet. i think if i really do move on, i'll move straight to zend studio... :D
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I was previously using "CreaText", but since I started working with PHP I changed to Taco HTML Edit.
    Both just have simple features and I really only use them over TextEdit for the colouring.
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    At the moment, I'm quite happy using jEdit with a few Ruby plugin's.
    I can code XHTML, CSS and other stuff by hand easily and don't really like WYSIWYG editors... Especially Frontpage, which should carry a warning stating that you are damaging the internet by using it :[
    If I want to preview something, I preview it in a real browser, not embeded Internet Explorer or Embeded Opera (Dreamweaver uses Opera for it's WYSIWYG editor, which makes it suck less than Frontpage by vast amounts, but even that doesn't display as it would render it normally).
    Even NVu, a free WYSIWYG editor based on code from Mozilla's browsers grated on me.
    Also, editors which encourage WYSIWYG editing over hand coding are pretty awful for any kind or scripting, and since I use either Ruby on Rails or PHP, I need an editor which doesn't intrude and which does what I want it to.
    I'd use SCIte, but it does lack a few things that jEdit has.

I built my own editor under Windows XP which did what I wanted it to, but I didn't port it to Linux for some reason that I can't be bothered remembering right now (used scintilla highlighting code, which is what SCIte does).

If I had a Mac, I'd probably fork out for Textmate simply because every demonstration I've seen that envolves programming on a Mac uses it, so either Mac editors suck (lies), or it does something good.

Anyway, any decent code editor > Dreamweaver >>>>>>> getting attacked by a dog with rabies >>>>>>> Frontpage.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I started with Notepad *EEEK* when I was learning to code, have used FrontPage once and YUCK is all I can say, boy does it mess up coding a treat!!! Since then I have used Dreamweaver and now use WeBuilder2006 which I've found is more versatile than Dreamweaver and supports more functions :)
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    Dreamweaver for php and Namo for HTML
    My Gallery
    WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
    Founder of TWInc
    Profession: KMA
    I am not a purple people eater :p
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    anyone actually used zend studio for php coding before? i hear it's really really good... but don't have the luxury of getting it yet... not needed for my daily work so my employer won't get the software for me... have to be from my own pocket... :)

comments on zend studio would be very much appreciated...
  • tec-geektec-geek Beginner Link Clerk
    I normally use Front Page.
    I've used WebPageMaker, but only when I'm lazy! :D
    WebPageMaker seems to be the easiest to use, IMO its geared to new webmasters and people with little to no HTML knowledge.

I'm currently looking into other PHP and HTML editors, but since I'm not getting paid, aside a few dollars per month for ads, I don't have the funds for top of the line editors. :p
    Have you looked on Sourceforge?
    If there's nothing on there, Chami's HTML-Kit is woth a look (it was free the last time I used it).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
  • tec-geektec-geek Beginner Link Clerk
    I actually never really visit sourceforge unless a link takes me to it! :rolleyes:
    I'll take a look around though.
  • phpnutphpnut Junior Member Shared Hoster
    I use TextWrangler, a Mac-only (and free!) text editor that does basically everything I need it to. It color codes source code to show where functions are, quotations, etc. so you can easily find errors in your code - ie: if you open a quote, the text after it turns pink until you end it with a quote... so if you have an error in PHP dealing with a quote, you'll know where it is with the huge chunk of pink text.
    I really recommend it!
    It also has save to/open from FTP/SFTP so I don't have to use Transmit except for uploading images and multimedia files to my site.
    My ongoing projects...
    www.naturesmagazine.com
    www.energyreform.org *new domain*
    www.photographyavenue.com
    ----
    You may also remember me as imnewtophp...
  • whitefangwhitefang Beginner Link Clerk
    I use FirstPage. www.evrsoft.com It is just a simple editor without much auto-created options, but I like the way it is laid out and I like the colored text it has for reading HTML code, which I am told that Dreamweaver also has, but I have never tried that one.
    Virtually every source code editor has syntax highlighting.
    Many will allow you to preview sites in a browser, or they'll have an integrated browser for previewing.
    Basically, most editors do that stuff or have plugin's to do it.
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Nuvo: Yes, but others have a lot of other "features" too, though I wouldn't call, most of them that myself. I'm happy with a simple editor with just syntax colours and such.
    Yes, I know what you mean.
    The thing to know is the difference between an IDE and a programmers editor.
    An IDE is usually something like Dreamweaver or RadRails, which is built with a lot of features such as debugging tools, compiler \ interpreter integration and visual development tools if possible (something like Dreamweaver, Visual Studio or Delphi).
    A prorgammers editor or source code editor is basically a plain text editor like Notepad, but with syntax highlighting and a few other features.

I use jEdit, which is less of an IDE and more of a plain editor.
    While I have a treeview for easily navigating between functions, documentation and classes and code folding, I don't have a lot of rarely used or completely useless features.
    You can make jEdit cluttered with features like an IDE by using plugin's, but I just have a very simple setup (treeview on the left, documentation on the bottom when needed).
    SCIte is still one of my favourite editors.
  • whitefangwhitefang Beginner Link Clerk
    Nuvo: Yes, but others have a lot of other "features" too, though I wouldn't call, most of them that myself. I'm happy with a simple editor with just syntax colours and such.

Agreed. I don't like alot of the "features" that add DHTML or Java to your site that works in IE but not in other browsers. I'd rather get a script myself and install it.
  • LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    I, like, Moddy use WeBuilder for the main part, but if ever i need a quick fix i find Notepad is the easiest work around. No fiddling, no mess, and the auto-fill-in of dreamweaver and other IDE's drive me round the bend!!! I didnt spend months learning to close my tags to find I'm closing them twice cos some stupid machine thinks i'm going to forget and does it for me! :banghead:
    Actually, the whole "tag closing" thing is what I like and dislike about jEdit.
    When doing quotes, it will put the closing quote mark in there for you, but if you try to put it in when it's already there, it usually just ignores you and skips to after the quote mark, but if you type it in twice, it puts it in.
    The annoying thing is that jEdit can also remove such things based on what you're doing.
    If you type a single quote, it inserts the end quote, but if you back track and remove the first quote, it removes the auto generated quote as well.
    This might not seem like much of an issue, but if you see it end a quote or brace for you when you don't want it to (say if you're modifying a piece of code which already has the end mark as you had quotes already) and you delete the wrong quote mark, it removes both :[
    Also, Java editors don't like recieving data from the OS clip board apparently, so jEdit uses it's own (no copying code to firefox from a script then).
    whitefang wrote:
    Agreed. I don't like alot of the "features" that add DHTML or Java to your site that works in IE but not in other browsers. I'd rather get a script myself and install it.
    This is the problem with people using WYSIWYG editors with no concept of how things work.
    I don't expect everyone to have a working knowlage of HTML, CSS and scripting, but understanding that HTML + CSS = good, DHTML = bad would make life better for everyone.
    There's no reason to go down the badly done DHTML rout when there's cross browser DOM scripting in JS (both JScript from Explorer and JavaScript from Mozilla), AJAX and CSS trickery.
    90% of the DHTML I've seen has been annoying anyway (cursor tails and snow effects make me sad).
  • ryanryan Beginner Link Clerk
    I use dreamweaver it the best HTML editor
  • jessithajessitha Beginner Link Clerk
    I am using Dreamweaver and notepad to make a webpage.
  • sohailmurree8sohailmurree8 Beginner Link Clerk
    for me dreamweaver is the best and i like it