How often do you backup

Ok, so can you believe this: I NEVER used to backup. Only recently when I read Python's horror story with Vivehosting and some similar ones, did I start backing up.

How often do you back up?

Have you had any horror stories when you waited to long?

Comments

• GinavereGinavere Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Every time I make a change to my website I back up.:happy3:
    There?s a miracle of friendship that dwells within the heart And you don?t know how it happens or where it gets its start But the happiness it brings you always gives a special lift Any you realize that friendship Is God?s most perfect gift.
    --Anon
  • tec-geektec-geek Beginner Link Clerk
    We have a forum, so we backup nightly. We have an automated cron that does the backup for us. We usually backup to my local machine, the server, and another host.

I've actually had alot of trouble with backups. I learned the hard way to keep them on some server other than the one your main site is on. I've used resellers as hosts, and when their account is terminated, which happens more often than you think, your account also gets terminated. We've lost our entire database about 3 times because of this.
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Constantly backing up and have a zillion discs lying around LOL
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    Constant constant back ups...I have a fear of losing things.
    I also back up data bases as often as possible especially to the forums..I am probably over cautious.
    My Gallery
    WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
    Founder of TWInc
    Profession: KMA
    I am not a purple people eater :p
  • JaredRitcheyJaredRitchey Moderator: Design Team Shared Hoster
    Backup? whats that?

With over 25GB of template design resources and many years of hard work, you learn very early on, backup, backup, backup. Did that sound like a hickup?

A set of tools I use is the email-cron backup tool which you send your server an email and it does an MySQL backup for you and another I recenlty discovered from Darren Gates called MyPackup located here:

http://tufat.com/s_mybackup_web_database_exporter.htm

~ Jared
    signature? whats a signature?
  • MystiiMystii Beginner Link Clerk
    I constantly backup and I have a grandfathering system where I can go back up to three backups if something gets changed or corrupted. I think I'd rather be over-cautious than not cautious enough. I don't have any horror stories about backing up, but oh my, I can tell some about NOT backing up!! :eek:
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    I don't backup nearly as often as I should.
    I'm trying to get in the habit though.