Ever Taken by an Internet Con-man?

When we were new (or even not so new) Webmasters, I bet we've all had times when we've felt "taken" by an internet con-man type of dishonest person?

When I was a newbie, I bought a domain on Afternic.com in their "Bazzar Cheap Domains" section. It was such an unbelievably good domain that any experienced person would have known it was an IDN.

An IDN (internationalized domain name) is an Internet domain name that (potentially) contains non-ASCII characters. Such domain names could contain letters with diacritics, as required by many European languages, or characters from non-Latin scripts such as Arabic or Chinese. Definition taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalizing_Domain_Names_in_Applications

Since I don't have the display of IDN's enabled on my computer, the IDN's appear as a normal domain that is very nice as it was only 2 letters.

I bought this IDN and only later learned that it was such.

When do you feel you were taken online?

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Never had anything like that happen to me.
    I'm usually pretty cautious of special offers and I didn't start out using the net for developing, it was mainly to find information on things like games.

Tip: Making female characters in online console games and saying "I'm new to this game, how do I get equipment?" is a sure fire way of getting lots of free gear that'll last a while... (I liked playing Phantasy Star Online).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!