Possible to Get a Page Rank of 10?

I was curious if it will ever be realistically possible for any of us to ever get a page rank of 10? I mean if Yahoo can only get a "9" how can we ever hope to get a 10? Do you think Yahoo is a "9" becuase they are Google's competition and that otherwise they would be a 10?

Comments

• whitefangwhitefang Beginner Link Clerk
    Personally, yes, I think that Yahoo is a 9 simply because Google won't let them be a 10. Google would never admit that, but Yahoo has been around much longer and it just doesn't make sense that they are only a 9.

Someone once told me that the general rule of thumb was that a PR8 or higher wasn't possible with a one-man show. Those are obtained by corporations and large companies who have a larger presense on the web.
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    whitefang wrote: »
    Someone once told me that the general rule of thumb was that a PR8 or higher wasn't possible with a one-man show. Those are obtained by corporations and large companies who have a larger presense on the web.

That is very interesting. I wonder how the Google page rank system filters out the "one man shows" when it comes to sites receiving page ranks. Maybe when a site is about to receive a rank of "8", it is reviewed by a Google employee.
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Well, if you look at how PageRank works, it basically counts each link from external sites (like WP linking to TD) and chacks the PR of the site linking to the site it's evaluating (in this case, it would check the PR of Webmaster Post while evaluating Tutorial Dash) and it uses that as a modifier, so sites with higher PR cause the PR of the site it's evaluating to increase more.
    Then it's a case of seeing where it's final score fits in with the PageRank database (if it has a final score of 1,000, it'd be slotted in with other sites which have similar scores, meaning it might have a PR of 6 or whatever), or at least that's my vague understanding of it (wikipedia has better info).
    Basically, it looks at how many sites link to you, and how good they are.

PR10 is, if I'm not mistaken, reserved for Google, though Google has been seen with PR8.
    MySpace, one of the most popular sites online only has a PR of 8.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • Excel7878Excel7878 Link Clerk

With Yahoo, I'll say nope. It's however likely to get a PR of ten with Google.