Designer signature or site links

I see some designers put their "designed by" in the footer of web sites while others don't and I'm curious why people decide not to do that.

can anyone tell me what the reasons for doing it either way and what is the best practice? what is acceptable for design credits?

JILL

Comments

• MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I always use "Copyright ? Irene Knight 2006. All rights reserved" so that visitors know that the content and design is protected under Intellectual Property Laws. I keep original files as well just incase I ever have to chase up an infringement.

However, I'd say it's mostly used as advertisement when you design for someone else. :)
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • JaredRitcheyJaredRitchey Moderator: Design Team Shared Hoster
    I see some designers put their "designed by" in the footer of web sites while others don't and I'm curious why people decide not to do that.

can anyone tell me what the reasons for doing it either way and what is the best practice? what is acceptable for design credits?

JILL

As Irene said many designers do that and its cool to do, but personally dont and here is why. Keep in mind this is just my personal style.

I personally, only add my name to templates, that I modifiy on behalf of others or that I buy on behalf of others that have copyright license rules. There is a specific reason why I do this.

I have NEVER EVER received a referral from the footer link that I can recall in recent memory. So my logic is not many others have either so if the template license is such that the designers name must remain, then I'm adding "Modified by" or "Implemented by" to expand the credits "away" from the original designer.

I do this to demonstrate how completely silly it is to put a designers name in the footer of a template. I'm under the belief that Its for pure vanity and little else. And I can prove it to a point by statistics.

If you truly want to get the low down on good design habits Jill, then add that to your web design practices.

You can put in <!--[Design By Jill etc... and so on]--> in the source if its for portfolio purposes but if its for your attempt to get a referral forget it. The only people looking at those are other designers not customers.

From years of experience;

~ Jared
    signature? whats a signature?
    I use it for copyright purposes 'cause the majority of surfers believe if it's not marked then it's not protected and think it's ok to just take what they want (GRRR) lol
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • JaredRitcheyJaredRitchey Moderator: Design Team Shared Hoster
    Yeah I do the same but with the site owners details. I dont want to be part of anyones legal problems. I honestly believe someone could also target a designer they dont like and find all the sites the designer has done and try to steal clients. I have just never found a good solid reason for adding my details beyond tearing down someone elses license restriction.

I usually add (C)Copyright 2006 - Client Name - All Intellectual Rights Reserved.

But each person has different experiences and different expectations. Its all good. :D

~ Jared
    signature? whats a signature?
  • LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Moddy got referals from my footer all the time when it was the old layout. Pity there was nothing on her site to say that she did bespoke work for other people or she'd probably have got something from it :D
    You do know that copyright is going back on that layout right? :)
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    There's a good lurkiepoo :D
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    i think most people do that for a good backlink and also as a marketing tool.

on the other hand, most people don't put a 'designed by' link because the customer who bought the design doesn't want such a link to be there... :D