Cyber World Goes On Sale Monday

A virtual world will go up for sale this coming Monday, the 25th of Septembers. www.Weblo.com hopes to sell off virtual property in a virtual nation that is mapped to match the U.S. complete down to the very streets and towns. Be warned, if you buy land in this virtual world, you'll have to pay state and national taxes.

My take on it? These guys aren't going to make much money. This idea is cookoo. But someone believes in it, former Myspace Chairman, Richard Rosenblatt, who financed much of this venture. What do you guys think of this idea? Flop or another Myspace in the making?

From their site:
On September 26th, 2006, the whole world goes on sale!
Have you ever felt like you missed out on something?
Ever imagined fame, fortune and worldwide success?
Enter Weblo and enter a virtual version of the real world – a cyber duplicate of every property, city, state and country, every celebrity or person and every possible Internet domain name. Weblo is your community, something completely new, and is revolutionizing the Internet once again.
Join Weblo and buy whatever you want. JOIN TODAY

http://www.techweb.com/wire/ebiz/193004956

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Wait...
    Do the owners of that thing even have the rights to use half the stuff they claim to offer?

I know you can't stop someone from using your name in some dumb article, but if they are using celebrities in their marketing without them knowing, surely the celbrities would want something for it as it's not every day you get Brad Pitt to work for free...

Also, what's this "buy domains you never thought you could" garbage?
    Yeah, you can use some form of virtual money to buy a copy of a domain name that's worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, but what then?
    You can't go buy MySpace.com or wikipedia.org and use them for real as there's already sites using them in the real world and typing the address into your address bar would take you to the real site.
    Basically, you're buying the right to say you bought a copy of a domain in your profile and nothing more (try clicking on an already bought domain asset in a user profile... It just goes to a profile of the domain).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • RadavanRadavan Beginner Link Clerk
    If they really do try to sell celebrities, there will be lawsuits. Weblo.com is a joke.
    www.Microsoft.com"Believe In the Future"
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Nuvo wrote: »
    Wait...
    Do the owners of that thing even have the rights to use half the stuff they claim to offer?

They might not need to, see HERE
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery