AIT Offering Free Domain Names with Web Hosting Accounts

Anyone familiar with Hosting provider, AIT? I'm not but they are now providing customers with free domain registration with their Web hosting accounts.
http://www.tophosts.com/articles/003905.html

In the past, I've seen several hosting companies offering the same free domain registration. I know that DreamHost still offers the free domain as well.

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Powweb, a service I've used in the past offers free domains on their annual and 2 year plans (the domain offer lasts as long as the plan, so one year or two) and their yearly plan works out at $7.77 a month.

Their shorter plan (3 months) is a bit of a rip off when compared to A Small Orange though as it's nearly $55 plus $30 for the set up and then domain fee's while ASO is $10 a month for hosting (if you need the $10 plan) plus $10 for a domain (for a year).
    Also, they only support PHP and Perl.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    if you're putting in effort to make your site a success, why risk it by registering your domain name with a hosting provider? it's typically around $8 only anyway - might as well go with a proper registrar like enom or godaddy...
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    daboss wrote: »
    if you're putting in effort to make your site a success, why risk it by registering your domain name with a hosting provider? it's typically around $8 only anyway - might as well go with a proper registrar like enom or godaddy...

So true Daboss, you've got to read the "fine print" with those deals as many times, the domain is actually the property of the host, not you. They are letting you "use" the domain you think is yours for as long as you keep hosting with them. You put all your work into making the domain valuable with traffic and a site, and then the host get's to keep the domain. It should be called a scam.

I've heard hundreds of horror stories of Webmasters who, when they were ready to move to a different host, found that the their former host actually owned the domain. My friend always repeats this axiom that I live by as well:

"Never register a domain with a hosting company and Never buy hosting from a domain company. Never buy your hosting and domains from the same company.{@}
  • lionsgatelionsgate Member NAT Warrior
    So, what's the difference? Most of the companies provide free hosting with their paid hosting plans. Do aTI provides free hosting plan with free domain registration? Or do they provide free domain registration with out any paid hosting plan? I don't think so. OK, I'll check now.