Laptops vs. Desk Tops

So ever since I've bought a laptop computer, I've used it almost exclusively. I finally packed up my desktop and took it to my parent's house as I just didn't need it.

What about you, do you use a desktop or a laptop? Why do some people still prefer desk tops?

Comments

• ZZ Formerly ''Piet'' NAT Warrior
    i have a desktop, one day i like to buy me a laptop.

but first things first.
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Ummmmm we have 3 desktops and 1 laptop :D

Laptops are good when you don't want to be sat in an uncomfortable seat, but ours is only good for surfing the net etc. Graphic intensive programs run on it but so slow that it is hardly worth using it for that purpose.
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • GOBGOB Beginer NAT Warrior
    I have a desktop.i need to use a regular keyboard b/c laptop keyboards were hurting my hands. plus i like having a really large screen. and when i had a laptop i never really used it anywhere outside of my room.
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    i would buy a desktop, because it's way faster, and laptops can die easy, by overheating
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I have a desktop because:
    Desktops generally have better spec kit in them (unless it's an Apple one where half the stuff is found in their desktops as well).
    Mouse with drawing tablet option > touchpad \ nub.
    27" widescreen laptops aren't really available at the moment :D
    I don't usually need to move my system, so a laptop would probably just stay in one place (which would be where my desktop is, right next to my chair \ bed... I use my bed as a chair since my monitor is my 27" LCD HDTV that's on a table next to my bed).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    I'm using a laptop because:
    1. I'm constantly on the move, I might be at home almost all the time during the week but I make frequent trips to Maryland and West Virginia so I need something portable.
    2. Can't afford a desktop right now:)

I'm saving up for a nice laptop now though, I might go Powerbook Pro or I might just get a really nice HP.
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    I have both, I find the screen on the laptop strains my eyes and doesnt show the true colours that I need to see clearly in art, so my desktop is used more often.
    My Gallery
    WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
    Founder of TWInc
    Profession: KMA
    I am not a purple people eater :p
  • GinavereGinavere Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Hmmm lots of pros and cons when it comes to lap tops from what I have read so far. I have a desktop and I'm happy with it. Will there be a lap top in my future? Don't know only time will tell. :)
    There?s a miracle of friendship that dwells within the heart And you don?t know how it happens or where it gets its start But the happiness it brings you always gives a special lift Any you realize that friendship Is God?s most perfect gift.
    --Anon
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    i like the desktops more, laptops are bad i have a laptop i never used. I used it before i got my desktop
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • chiragchirag Member NAT Warrior
    Even i like desktops more than laptops.
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    I love my desktop. We have a laptop but I dont use it because it runs dead slow and drives me up the wall
  • SweetSweet Junior Member Shared Hoster
    I'm a desktop girl! If I was to get a laptop I would really never be offline and prolly end up divorced!
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Sweet wrote: »
    I'm a desktop girl! If I was to get a laptop I would really never be offline and prolly end up divorced!

You are very disciplined to restrict yourself to the desktop Sweet :angel_not:

That's my problem as now that I've got my wireless cellphone card for my computer, I'm only restricted by my battery life (and already have plans to buy another battery or a computer with much longer battery life).

Please somebody take this laptop away from me :D
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I'm fascinated by the number of members stating that "Laptops suck". People, a laptop is only as good as the CPU, RAM, Graphics Card, ETC inside it, just like a PC. If you have a laptop and a desktop, maybe YOUR laptop is not as good as your desktop, but it may be better than someone else's desktop, or someone else may have a laptop better than your desktop.
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    i have a laptop which i love, its wireless and great, i spent a months wages on it but was worth every penny, ill never go back to a standard desktop
  • fiona2412fiona2412 Member NAT Warrior
    We have 2 desktops and a laptop. Currently we use the laptop for pretty much everything, surfing, graphics, etc etc. We just don't have the room downstairs any more to house a desktop. I am buying a new laptop next year, this laptop is actually my hubby's, we will then give me desktop to my eldest and sell his.

The laptop is great for saving space, maybe if we ever get a bigger house I'll get another dektop.
    "I didn't lose my mind it was mine to give away" No Regrets by Robbie Williams

My Site
    My Deviantart
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    Hmm, I still prefer desktops, however notebooks are very handy and compact. Main reasons why I don't pick a notebook as my main work-environnement:
    • Costs when repairing
    • No dual screen
    • Little expansion possibilities
    • Standard costs
    • The standard must-use software, which you pay for =P

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    xPureNLx wrote: »
    Hmm, I still prefer desktops, however notebooks are very handy and compact. Main reasons why I don't pick a notebook as my main work-environnement:
    • Costs when repairing
    • No dual screen
    • Little expansion possibilities
    • Standard costs
    • The standard must-use software, which you pay for =P

- xPureNLx
    • True, but not for me as I have family who know how to repair them :D
    • Actually, if the laptop has some form of monitor port such as DVI or VGA, that might not be true as some do allow you to use two screens, though it's often just mirrored.
    • This is true, but that's why god invented docking stations.
    • Ok... Laptops only cost more because the components have to be designed for use during travel and they have to be small. A desktop isn't often moved, so it doesn't need to cope with the stresses of being dumped on a bus or train for several hours while in use.
    • I have no idea where you're going there.
      A laptop can run the same software that a desktop can.
      Heck, an iMac is pretty much the same as a MacBook internally, barring the fact that they don't use laptop HDD's and a few other components.
      This is the advantage which Intel has brought to the table, the Core 2 Duo CPU's are powerful enough to be useful for a lot of things, but they don't melt through your legs like other powerful CPU's (hello AMD :[).
      If you really want the power, then the desktop tower will win every time as there's stuff like dual Xeon capable boards, meaning you get 4 64bit cores at over 2Ghz each (and support for insane amounts of RAM... Just go look at the Mac Pro's max spec).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    My bad Nuvo, I based my earlier said things on Windows-based notebooks. My last sentence:

The standard must-use software, which you pay for =P

I meant it like:

notebooks are installed by a standard. Okay, you can reinstal your notebook, true, but consider this as an exception, as most people buy a laptop and want to use it as soon as possible.

Standard there is crap installed like the manufactories tools, a crap-security system (mostly Symantec, oh man I hate Symantec) and multimedia tools, which are mostly incomplete. On top of that the installation is always sealed with logo's, scripts and other stuff of the manufactory, like Acer, Asus, Dell or Packard Bell (I hate this one as well)...

All the above can be solved, but most notebook-buyers don't know how to and don't want to solve such things.

Hope this makes sence...

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]