Why do you register a domain?

WatchOutWatchOut Advanced UserVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
why do you register a domain, tell us why, and where you buy it
Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com

Comments

• ZZ Formerly ''Piet'' NAT Warrior
    to make a website or an forum or a blog?
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    yeah ok thanks for your reason
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    Some buy domain names to make money out of them, some domain names cost millions, can you imagine?

I hardly buy domain names, I collect other stuff ^^.

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    xPureNLx wrote: »
    I hardly buy domain names, I collect other stuff ^^.
    - xPureNLx

LOL, the fun of collecting things does have something to do with it. I have a never ending belief in and passion for being among the next great web entreprenuers (don't many of us with this goal have this peristant optimisim?)

I need domains to start these web projects. Since the price for domains is going nowhere but up, I thought about all the projects I eventually want to tackle, and bought all the domains I might need. In today's market, I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy even half of my current domains.

I rarely agree to sell any of my domains becuase I didn't buy them to sell them, but bought them to develop them.
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    lol xPureNLx, what other kind of stuff do you collect?
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    I collect rare console games of my taste, I am almost finished with my Dreamcast collection (my favorite console).

And yes, I agree to Deluxe, I rarely sell my collected stuff as well, however my rare games cost a lot (example: people pay over 80 dollars for Rival Schools 2).

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• AndrewGAndrewG Beginner Link Clerk
    I register domains for a few reasons:
    - First I would register one if I was going to start a new website. This is the first thing I get before starting a new venture. If I can't get a good domain then I might not start the business.
    - Second I buy domains to sell them, which is what I'm doing right now.
    -Lastly, because its kind of cool to think of a name no one has thought of already.
  • BurninDragon08BurninDragon08 Beginner Link Clerk
    Speaking in general, I register my domains for projects. I usually register from Omnis.
  • fiona2412fiona2412 Member NAT Warrior
    I bought my last domain from UKreg, it was cost effective for me. The main reason for buying it was so I could move away from having my tutorials hosted on those damn free sites
    myfreesite.com/yournamehere.

The one I won from here is for a new project I have up my sleeve that will run alongside my existing site..I just need to find the cash to buy some new hosting lol

As far as collecting goes....obviously I'm not a domain collector, no sort of collection with just 2 lol
    I collect Piggin'

I totally agree with your point of view Pure, but if like my hubby you collect these things so they can sit in the attic and collect dust I don't see the point. He plays the odd few games here and there but no-where near all the stuff he has. I think the best bargain we got was Shenrue (sp) for the dreamcast I managed to get it from a car boot sale in mear mint cond. for about 50p lol
    xPureNLx wrote: »

And yes, I agree to Deluxe, I rarely sell my collected stuff as well, however my rare games cost a lot (example: people pay over 80 dollars for Rival Schools 2).

- xPureNLx
    "I didn't lose my mind it was mine to give away" No Regrets by Robbie Williams

My Site
    My Deviantart
  • lionsgatelionsgate Member NAT Warrior
    I buy domain names to develop non profit online business or else I buy domain name for any project that I join. And most of the time I use registerfly
  • PapworthPapworth Junior Member Shared Hoster
    I register domains for the following reasons;
    • If I want to develop a website/forum around them
    • If I believe they could increase in value in the future
    • Finally, I often register domains purely for personal websites, (non-profit).

I always register my domains at Namecheap or Godaddy. Unless I need extra hosting too, because then I would go to Elixant where I can get a free domain for life with any hosting package I subscribe to.