PHP Tutorials

MGDesignsMGDesigns AdminVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
I have noticed that all the tutorials that I have came across on the Internet for PHP don't tell you if they are for PHP 4 or PHP 5. Now you would think this would be an important part of the tutorial? Especially when most tutorials seemed to be aimed at the "newbie" who probably doesn't have a clue if there has been any syntax changes etc, or am I just being overly fussy?

Share your opinions please :D
A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
-
ModGirl Design
My ArtWanted Portfolio
Renderosity Gallery

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I've not come across a lot of PHP4 code that breaks with PHP5, but it would be nice to have it mentioned...
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yeah, i think it's nice. But i think yeah it would be good to see that, and i think it is pretty important.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I'm thinking perhaps tutorial writers only pay attention to version numbers when it involves a software program..?
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    Yeah, the probably do only pay attention to that, but i think a real tutorial writer should also pay attention to peoples opinions, and try to improve that thing.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
    I wonder how many people send their opinions to tutorial writers when there is a contact option available. I run a tutorial site and I'm yet to actually receive an opinion on how to improve the tutorials, navigation etc.

I have contacted a few tutorial site owners with either feedback or to report errors/missing steps etc to receive no reply or one filled with snotty comments, well apart from tutorialtastic.co.uk - they're extremely helpful :D
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    I see, there you have a good point, i mean maybe people don't submit their opinions to the tutorial writers, but you are doing a great job, and send them your opinions, which are good if the tutorial writers, pay attention to it.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Hmm...well I write a lot of tutorials myself (www.vipercreations.com), but i've never ever bothered to mention which version of php it's meant for.

Partly because my code usually works in php4+...and I've never seen that done before, so I guess what I'm trying to say is apparently not too many people seem to care about it.
    ban1.gif
    Or people just don't mention it at all, which is a shame because user feedback is imperative to improvements.
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    yeah, that's what i don't like with some people, they do not give their user feedback, me as a webmaster i would love feedback, i would immediatly fix that weakness. But some people doesn't even bother to give their opinions..
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    Thats a good point, I havn't written a php tutorial in a while but if i do any time soon i will be sure to put that in there :p

Im sure some sites get a lot of "Why isn't this working" and "Your tutorials SUCK!" because of not putting it there so they are getting errors after doing the tutorial.
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
    Thank you Martian :)
    It sure would help alot of newbie coders, myself included in regards to PHP ;)
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    yeah thats great Martian, yeah i've seen alot of tutorial teasing lolz.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    Lol, I'll write on on basic object orientated programing tonight if i get the time :)
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
    Superb! :D
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    Yeah Excellent! Thanks for listening to our opinions, though.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com