Securing Your Laptop Against Theft

KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic ArtistsNAT Warrior
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061031_651978.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_computers

I remember coming across a program that did this, but can't remember which it was. However its an interesting subject, I wonder how many of us have information, apart from the usual sensitive information, that we would not like people to see :p
My Gallery
WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
Founder of TWInc
Profession: KMA
I am not a purple people eater :p

Comments

• WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Thanks for this Katra. Really nice article, very good for the Laptop users'.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    Ah yes, I have some great articles about this subject. I'll post some later =)

Thanks for bringing this up,

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Thanks for that xPureNLx. Waiting to see ;)
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    There's always the physical side of things.
    If you plan on leaving a laptop anywhere, something like a Kensington lock will keep people from lifting it and running for the hills (a lot of laptops have small holes on the side for these things).
    There's also my take, which is called the bloody great big chain, padlock and wires leading to a lamp post technique.
    Basically, chain the laptop down and electrify the chain (using a non-conductive container would be a good idea BTW).

Software based security is al well and good, but you can't really nuke your HDD over the web if the laptop isn't connected, having everything but the OS destroyed is not going to bother someone who's going to sell the laptop and chances are that by the time you find your laptop, it's been stripped for parts, which makes it harder to trace, so some sort of physical security is a good idea.

P.S.
    The Toughbook is a good thing to buy if you worry about being rough with a laptop as they are immortal... Literally.
    One was tested on The Gadget Show and not even an explosion or water could stop it booting (one of these has saved a soldier by stopping a bullet).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • fiona2412fiona2412 Member NAT Warrior
    I remember seeing that Toughbook, it's a cool idea. Our laptop never leaves the dining table, well no it does occationally when hubby is coping from the video camera to dvd, then it moves to the coffee table lol. It's never left the house, but what does bother me in being burgled. I was burgled many years ago, i hadn't been living away from my parents long so they didn't get much. But now if someone was to break in. There's no way to really secure the laptop apart from to sleep with it and i'm not sure hubby would approve ;)
    "I didn't lose my mind it was mine to give away" No Regrets by Robbie Williams

My Site
    My Deviantart
  • omoiomoi Junior Member Shared Hoster
    I have plenty of things I'd like to keep private and I have a laptop which I suppose makes the whole situation worse eh? What a great link, I plan on securing my stuff ASAP
    Chou: butterfly...
    omoi: thought; mind; heart; feelings; emotion; sentiment; love; affection; desire; wish; hope; expectation; imagination; experience...
    chou omoi
    butterflyspirit
  • To get your laptop from theft, then you have to keep your laptop credentials in a safe place. Don't share any information with anyone and know information you leave online

• Wow. This is very informative and well detailed. Thank you so much for this it really came in very helpful.

• olaide85olaide85 Link Clerk

There are so many program developed to counterattack theft on a laptop. The program will definitely notify someone of the malicious attempt.

• surjboysurjboy Link Clerk

Apps developed to counter computer attack makes me really happy. But atimes this same programmer are still the ones that will get a cracked version, stealth the app to be bye passed.