Personal security on the Net

KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic ArtistsNAT Warrior
Security against Cyber Stalking and/or Spamming

I thought it might be a good idea to list the do's and dont's for newcomers to the web who may fall prey to spammers or stalkers, so that if they browse this forum they may pick up some valuable information.
We could then gather together all tips and have in one sticky post.

For example:
1. Always encrypt your email address on web pages there is a good facility here:
http://www.mways.co.uk/prog/hidemail.php
or use a web based email that you can delete and make a new one easily.

2. Always look for the opt out on a web site form which asks if you mind the company sharing your details with a third party.
My Gallery
WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
Founder of TWInc
Profession: KMA
I am not a purple people eater :p

Comments

• WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yeah, really nice idea.

Always use Antivirus, or any kind of virus protection
    ( ALL-IN-ONE PACKAGES RECOMMENDED, EG ANTIVIRUS, FIREWALL, ANTISPAM )
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    Well come on guys surely you can think of something for newcomers with your experience.

You surely don't surf the net without knowing some protection (excuse the pun)
    My Gallery
    Founder of TWInc
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Katra wrote: »
    don't surf the net without knowing some protection
    LOL! I like that pun! Thanks for posting this Katra!

3. Use something like the Google bar to block popups.

4. Never, never, ever, open attachments in emails unless you know and trust the source (biggest way that viruses are spread)

5. If you receive warning emails like "Update your ebay login info," Update your Bank info," or "You have received an Ebay Warning," don't trust it, it's probably someone trying to steal your username/password.

6. Don't believe any email that tells you that they will send you a huge check and you just have to deposit it and send back a smaller amount of money to them. These are always scams and the travelers checks, or Western Union Checks they send you are ALWAYS fake. However, it will take your bank up to 3 weeks to realize the checks are fake and meanwhile, the money you send to them is gone :(
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yeah i just received an virus through my e-mail, lucky me i had a good antivirus protection on, it deleted it before i read my message :). Well if you're looking for a free antivirus you should probably try AVG Antivirus, i've used it a lot in my past and i'm still using it, the features and the security is really nice.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Any email asking you for account details (for your bank, ebay, amazon, paypal - WHATEVER) is certainly a scam. These companies will never ask for your account details in an email.
    Any email asking you to click a link and log in (to your bank, ebay, amazon, paypal - WHATEVER) is also almost certainly a scam.
    To be sure - MANUALLY type the address of the site into your browser's address bar and see for yourself. Do not click the link in the email.
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    Dont add randoms to your msn list. I had a problem the other day where a friend of mine apparantly has shared out their contact list, and thus we had a random add us. When asked where this person got my msn addy, they asked did i mind them being there. My response. This is my PERSONAL msn address, and I value my privacy, you are therefore being blocked and deleted forthwith.

My special little tip however, is make up an email addy, something like spam mad <name> and use that for signing up to sites etc that could possibly generate spam. It works for me :D
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    =O, security...

Some Basics:

Windows:
    • Remove software you don't need (Windows-standard software) >> the less Windows-standard software, the less Windows security holes (like MSN Explorer, Outlook Express etc). Start > Control Panle > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows components.
    • Re-configure standard extensions: JS, JSE, Piff, VB, VBS. Open Explorer > Extra > Options > Externsions >
    • Enable extensions, NTFS etc. Open Explorer > Extra > Options > Directory Options (or something) >
    • Disable hidden shares: Rightclick My Computer > Manage > Shares > Disabled them all
    • Disable the Guest account: Rightclick My Computer > Manage > Local Users > Guest > Disable

Basic Security-apps:
    • Try a All-in-One Security package like: Bitdefender AIO/McAfee AIO or Zonealarm Security Suite.
    • Run your virusscanner and anti-spyware scanner (mostly included in the AIO) once in a week minimal!
    • Monthly, scan your entire system using Hitman Pro 2 (runs auto.)

Please remember:
    • Update your Windows daily
    • Update your virusscanner daily
    • Use spamfilters
    • Never visit illegal websites (serial-websites, warezsites), those pages contain a lot of cracking adds.
    • Use Mozilla Firefox for browsing unknown websites, their basic security is more advanced than IE 6.x's
    • Never use BETA stuff as your primary browser/virusscanner or other security-vulnerable application.

That's all ^^

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• RadavanRadavan Beginner Link Clerk
    On forums like this, never use the same password as you do for your important accounts. Sometimes forums get hacked. If the hacker gets your password for a forum, he will try to use it on your paypal, bank, and ebay accounts.

If you have a hard time remembering so many passwords, pick a "non-important" password for your forums and an "Important" password for your secure items.
    www.Microsoft.com"Believe In the Future"
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    Good suggestions guys :)
    My Gallery
    Founder of TWInc
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    Heres another quick tip ;)

Keep your ISP email address for important things such as banking, paypal, and other financial/official things, and get yourself a couple of free email addresses for things like photobucket, forums etc.

A friend of mine had her email account at yahoo hacked the other day, and luckily, she didnt have any important details in her yahoo account.

Its a good practice to follow :D
  • ConstanceConstance Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Whoa great suggestions guys. I don't use spam filters so I'm going to start using them now because it's getting crazy out here.
  • fiona2412fiona2412 Member NAT Warrior
    My bad....I used the same password for most things...off to change everything now
    "I didn't lose my mind it was mine to give away" No Regrets by Robbie Williams

My Site
    My Deviantart
  • ayushsinhalayushsinhal Junior Member Shared Hoster
    good information
  • crud3w4recrud3w4re Beginner Link Clerk
    If you receive spam, sometimes "opting out" actually opts you IN. Why? You've responded. It's always hit or miss with them, but lucky for them, they have millions upon millions of emails they spam with. It's always for that one in a million guy that finds the spam email useful, usually spam is just a way of advertisement for companies, not all are scams.
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    crud3w4re wrote: »
    If you receive spam, sometimes "opting out" actually opts you IN. Why? You've responded.
    Now that's great advice! I can't believe I forgot to mention that :D