Why Not Advertise With Your Car

I was thinking of ways to advertise my Boston real estate listing site. I came up with an idea that will work if your business is local. Here's what I'm doing:
1) Think of an unusual and bright color for your car and have it painted (Only cost $1000 as I found a paint shop with a winter special, they don't have much business in the winter).
2) Find a good sign shop and have them create magnetic signs that will stick to the sides/back of your car and can come off later. This way, everywhere you drive in your city, your business will be advertised.

I have not had the magnetic signs created yet but I've had the car painted a bright yellow and am shopping around for a magnetic sign shop.

This is how my car looks now (this is an identical looking car, also painted with Darkar Yellow):

Comments

• xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    I don't know, of course it's a original, a sticky and a relatively low-cost way of advertising... hmm

Make sure it looks professional. People's first impression is very important, the first impression in this case is the ad. on your car, so you reaaly should make sure everything looks perfect, I think.

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    ah nice car :) how much it reaches KM/H ?
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    xPureNLx wrote: »
    I don't know, of course it's a original, a sticky and a relatively low-cost way of advertising... hmm
    Make sure it looks professional. People's first impression is very important, the first impression in this case is the ad. on your car, so you reaaly should make sure everything looks perfect, I think.

- xPureNLx

That's true, it has to look very professional to have any affect.

As for the speed, Watchout, I drive too slow to know :D
    Hahaha, DeluxeNames good one ;) Hmm yeah it has to be proffesional to pay attentition for the people :)
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Magnets might not be the best idea really.
    The problems are:
    1: Magnets + electronics = Oh dear!
    2: Magnets can, er fall off if they aren't strong enough to withstand the forces placed on them by you driving the car.
    3: You might have issues with getting a magnetic sign to sit flat against the body of the car as cars rarely have perfectly flat body panels (if there's a raised angle for example on the hood, or some detailing on the sides).
    This could be both an issue with making it look decent and with safety as the last thing you want is wind to blow it off half way down the motorway.

You could try having some decals done.
    That way, they can be peeled off when no longer needed as they just stick on top of the paint work.
    This is the same kind of thing you often see on modded cars which have the logo's of the component providers on them (such as Alpine, Momo, NOS or Racinghart).
    The only issue with decals is that they aren't easily removed and reapplied, and in some cases the might leave temporary outlines on the car after removal (though this is often down to the fact that the paint under the decal isn't subject to the dirt that the rest is and company cars where this is usually seen aren't cleaned that often).

P.S.
    Watchout's avatar is of a modded Nissan Skyline with rear headlight shields and a big bore exhaust allowing for a louder sound.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    Nuvo wrote: »
    P.S.
    Watchout's avatar is of a modded Nissan Skyline with rear headlight shields and a big bore exhaust allowing for a louder sound.

Show off! ;)

But I tihnk magnets are the easier choice. I highly doubt magnets will mess with anything electronic (I'm assuming that model is 95-99?), that model also has pretty flat sides so I think thats covered too, and thatd have to be a damn weak magnet to come off easily.

But ya if you have a local site than this is a great/easy/cost-effective way to advertise.
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    They will steal your magnets in 1 week, easy thought, easy done ;)

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

pfgannon wrote: »
    Show off! ;)

But I tihnk magnets are the easier choice. I highly doubt magnets will mess with anything electronic (I'm assuming that model is 95-99?), that model also has pretty flat sides so I think thats covered too, and thatd have to be a damn weak magnet to come off easily.

But ya if you have a local site than this is a great/easy/cost-effective way to advertise.

On that model Skyline, the rear headlight shields are standard as that's a R34 GT-R, not the newer model Skyline, which has seemingly split from the GTR models (which have their own concept car simply called the Nissan GTR).

The thing about magnets is probably true, though I still don't like the idea of sticking magnets to a car as it just sounds like an odd idea to me.
    The most you'd probably notice from slapping magnets on would probably be radio or starting weirdness, but even then, the magnets would probably need to be pretty close to the radio or battery to do anything, and since you'd be slapping the magnets on the sides of the car, they won't be near those components.
    I have some rare earth magnets (the ones that work through a human arm), but I'm not testing them on my parents car as I really want to kill that thing (new design Nissan Micra that looks like a frog with a stick up it's rear end) and must resist urges.
    The stronger the magnet, the more likely it is to weird out components (thus no slapping magnets on your PC :D), though in order to be easily readable, it'd have to be one big magnet, and it'd need to be stronger than those bendy one's you put on your fridge as those things fall off without you going over speed bumps >:[

P.S.
    Firefox 2.0 = yes... Firefox 2.0 UK English spell checking = suck (apparently, "bendy" and "Firefox" make it hate me) >:[
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    I guess then it's not good to use Magnets :)
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    WatchOut wrote: »
    I guess then it's not good to use Magnets :)

I wouldnt say that, theres a taxi company where I live, which has taxis/private hire cars, and what they do, is use magnetic panels to have the company name on while they are working as taxis, and when they are used for private hire, the magnetic panels peel off so theres no branding. (handy for weddings in other words)
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    I wouldnt say that, theres a taxi company where I live, which has taxis/private hire cars, and what they do, is use magnetic panels to have the company name on while they are working as taxis, and when they are used for private hire, the magnetic panels peel off so theres no branding. (handy for weddings in other words)

Exactly the reason for magnets! When I take a gal out on a date, I don't want her to see the BostonDigs.com on the side :o

The magnets will work just fine as my friend is doing it now. As someone said, yes, the only major problem is if someone takes the magnet as their easily stolen and it happens in a big city like Boston. Just kids having fun. After my first magnets get stollen, I'll go to decals.
    You should mod the car as well so that you can go to car shows such as (I don't know if they have this in America) Max Power shows... only with adverts instead of a mean looking paint job :P
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    Exactly the reason for magnets! When I take a gal out on a date, I don't want her to see the BostonDigs.com on the side :o

The magnets will work just fine as my friend is doing it now. As someone said, yes, the only major problem is if someone takes the magnet as their easily stolen and it happens in a big city like Boston. Just kids having fun. After my first magnets get stollen, I'll go to decals.

You can always put the magnets in the trunk overnight to avoid theft :D
  • omoiomoi Junior Member Shared Hoster
    The bad thing about advertising on a car is that not many people will have a computer right with them and I know that I'd probably forget by the time I got home about an advertisement I saw earlier that day because we're bombarded with so many. So your ad has to be both professional and very appealing to leave a lasting impression.
    Chou: butterfly...
    omoi: thought; mind; heart; feelings; emotion; sentiment; love; affection; desire; wish; hope; expectation; imagination; experience...
    chou omoi
    butterflyspirit