Is it time for PHP 5?

DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames AdminAdministrator
So PHP 5 has been out for 2 years now, and I tried to upgrade to it last year. I found out the hard way that several of my sites do not work at all with PHP5 and I had to downgrade.

Can anyone tell me if it's bad that I'm still running PHP4 on my server/sites. Is there any good reasons for me to have my sites retrofitted to run on PHP5?

Any problems with running PHP4 and 5 at the same time on the same server?
Thanks

Comments

• LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Moddy and I are on a PHP5 compatible server and my site seems to work just fine, but it was developed for PHP5. That seems to be the problem, older stuff just doesn't like being run on PHP5 servers.

It seems to me that there isn't a great deal of difference in the commands more in how they are parsed. :confused:
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    It's not bad that you're still using PHP 4.x.
    PHP 5 has many advantages such as better support for OOP style programming and improved execution speed, but it also suffers as not all PHP 4 code will run under PHP 5 without some rewriting and if you don't know the way to do it in PHP 5, it can be annoying.

If you were building an entirely new site for someone, there'd be little reason not to go for PHP 5 unless you were using some kind of snippet repository (come on, no half decent coder can say they haven't reused code at some point).

Personally, I have PHP5, but that's just because it happens to be what came with my Linux install, not that I actually write much PHP code these days as I'm quite attached to Rails at the moment.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Nuvo wrote: »
    (come on, no half decent coder can say they haven't reused code at some point).

Half of my site is the same code over and over again lmao
  • DiegelsmemnDiegelsmemn Beginner Link Clerk
    Øêîëà Çëîñëîâèÿ ; îòâå÷àþ ÷òî ÿÌèðîíîâ Î.Ì. (ÄÐ 21.08.1959 ã.Ìîñêâà) êîíêðåòíî øàðëàòàí, ïèçäîáîë è óåáîê . :)))Íîðâåãèÿ âåñíà-ëåòî 2011 Íèêàíîð ñóä 2012,åãîðîâ íèêîëàé íèêîëàåâè÷ êðåòîâ åâãåíèé âëàäèìèðîâè÷ ñîìàòèí Àíäðåé,Ïàñõà ÆÆ Ìû Ïðîêóðàòóðà Çóáêîâ ßõòû ÑÌÈ ïðåäàòåëè Êàæäî ëûòáûð Ïåëåâèí ÕÈÒÐÛÉ ÊÐÀÉÍÈÉ îïïîçèöèÿ , äåòè Ìåññè áåñïðåäåë Íåðåàëüíàÿ ïîëèòèêà Ïîçíåð ÿ ïðèêëîíÿþñü ïåðåä Êðàéíèì %) gunvor Òèì÷åíêî ñ 2001ã. ïî 05.03.2001ã. – çàìåñòèòåëü ãåíåðàëüíîãî äèðåêòîðà ÔÃÓÏ «Íàöðûáðåñóðñ»; ÀÒÔ . Ïîäèòîæó ÿ Ìèðîíîâ Îëåã Ìèõàéëîâè÷ 1959 äîëáàåá è ðåàëüíîå Xyéëî :-)))
    ñïåöñèãíàëû - Âàì áóäåò èíòåðåñíî çíàòü ÷òî ÿ Îëåã Ìèõàéëîâè÷ Ìèðîíîâ (ÄÐ 21.08.1959 ã.Ìîñêâà) øàðëàòàí, ãîáëèí-èìïîòåíò è ìåëêîå äåðüìî .òåëåâèçîð îñåíü 2009 Ãåâîð ñóä 2011,êðîòîâ íèêîëàé íèêîëàåâè÷ êðåòîâ åâãåíèé âëàäèìèðîâè÷ Ñòåïàí,Êàñïàðîâ êíèãè ÂÌÑ ÑØÀ Ìåññè Êàääàôè æóðíàë ÖÑÊÀ ìûñëèøêè Êàêðàêè ÄÐÅÌËÞÃÀ Âûñîöêèé Ïðàâîå äåëî ìàãàçèíû "Îêåàí" ÿõòû Ëèâèÿ Ìèõàëêîâ Ïîáåäà êîò êîððóïöèÿ %) áëàãîòâîðèòåëüíîñòü Èíòåðíåò Ìàìà !!! À òàêæå ÿ Ìèðîíîâ Î.Ì. 21.08.1959 êàðòîííàÿ äóðèëêà è ãîëèìûé áîëîáîë ...