How much RAM Does A Server Need To Provide Shared Hosting?

How much RAM does a server need when providing shared hosting?

I’m slowly trying to get into the shared hosting field. I'm aware it's an overcrowded market. I understand. I’m just looking for some advice on how much of RAM I should have to a server when providing shared hosting. I’m sure it would make a difference depending on how many customers I’d be hosting on one server, but I’m not to sure how many that would be. It’s an HP Proliant DL360p G8 with 2 Xeons. I’m thinking 2-4TB of SSD storage to start out, but it will probably end up being more.

Thanks for your help,
Miles

Comments

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    edited April 2021

You can always upgrade RAM later when you have the funds. If it's owned hardware you know how to upgrade or use the upgrade option for leased hardware. If it's a dedicated server start out with 32GB RAM say and work up from there.

Although if you're just starting out it'd probably be wise just to start out on a VPS and then upgrade as you grow and eventually move on to a Dedicated Server.

ensure you have RAID setup for the disks, an offsite backup location in case your VPS dies, do not host your corporate website on the same hardware your customers are on, even better use a separate network and VPS for your website. If you are new to this you may want to look into managed VPS servers.