Why Not Start Your Own Hosting Business?

MonstaHostMonstaHost NAT Warrior
edited April 2021 in Hosting Discussion & News

Have you considered starting your own Hosting Business? Unless you have some ready cash to spend on marketing, and a thorough understand of the hosting business, its better to start small. However small you may start, you still need at least $900 including the budget to last for 6-9 months. This is how long it may take to turn operationally profitable or at least break even.

One suggestion is to choose one of the many providers (reseller, vps & dedicated) who provide end-user support for their resellers. Identify the best among them and start. Pick the one with a better reputation and remember that all 3 types of hosting need not be at the same place.

Always choose managed vps/dedicated, regardless on how good you are as a SystemAdministrator. Route your support directly to the provider or find help while you are sleeping. Don't ever compromise on support as long support cues will earn you bad reviews.

Don't hesitate to switch providers especially if you face recurring issues. Use forums and social media for your marketing and discover some guerrilla marketing tricks.

Comments

• multiwebbymultiwebby Link Clerk

Hello, this is interesting. I actually thought it would cost much more money to start a hosting business. But reading this, one can start with a budget of around $100 a month. Am I understanding this correctly??

Thanked by [1] : PressReleaseBot
  • MonstaHostMonstaHost NAT Warrior
    edited April 2021

@multiwebby said:
    Hello, this is interesting. I actually thought it would cost much more money to start a hosting business. But reading this, one can start with a budget of around $100 a month. Am I understanding this correctly??

You're correct @multiwebby, from between $100 - $150/ month.

Have you thought about what you might call your host?

• cloudmatecloudmate NAT Warrior

You can start with Alpha Reseller Hosting which costs around 130$/Year with Domain as it is the Cheapest Option for an Ongoing business as well as new ones and You will also get a period of 12 Month to make yourself in profit.

For a Server-Rated Hosting Business, Nominal Budget Goes between 250-400$/Month which gives 6 Servers as we have now.
    BTW, This Post is more than enough to encourage Newcomers to start their own Firm.😃

Shared Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers

Ankesh Anand
    LHY Technologies
    CEO
    ankesh@cloudmate.in

• skorupionskorupion Link Clerk

Boy, you can start for way less. Go with Buyshared.net reseller plan (2 USD p/m) which includes blesta. Your only other expense would be the domain name, which costs 12 bucks a year.

Thanked by [1] : MonstaHost
  • abytecuriousabytecurious Shared Hoster

I think the hidden costs of maintaining are not covered here. Pretty much every host needs a good support team. Good support costs money, even if you say you are available only business hours on weekdays, you will need to hire a couple of people to manage. There is also the costs of server maintenance, making sure your users aren't spamming/abusing resources. All it takes is one person to send out 1000 emails and spoil the IP reputation of your service.

I rented a VPS and it hosted a simple Wordpress site. Someone used the "Forgot Password" on the login page to send emails to 1000s of users (basically like revenge spamming). The IP got blacklisted and luckily the host didn't charge me anything to get the IP whitelisted again.

I am not discouraging newcomers, but if you don't have experience managing your own server (atleast a VPS) and are very comfortable with the Linux CLI, I think you should get that experience first.

Thanked by [1] : DeluxeNames

@skorupion said:
    Boy, you can start for way less. Go with Buyshared.net reseller plan (2 USD p/m) which includes blesta. Your only other expense would be the domain name, which costs 12 bucks a year.

Hello Reseller Buddy........ Wassup? I can see your Website Got an R3 Cetificate! First Go for a Purchased SSL. Your Hosting is From https://buyvm.net/ I can scrap more data also...... So Just don't say Its cheap! I have seen many resellers who first take money and then run away...... Thats the reason I am in the Hosting Business now...

Ankesh Anand
    LHY Technologies
    CEO
    ankesh@cloudmate.in

edited April 2021

@abytecurious said:
    I think the hidden costs of maintaining are not covered here. Pretty much every host needs a good support team. Good support costs money, even if you say you are available only business hours on weekdays, you will need to hire a couple of people to manage. There is also the costs of server maintenance, making sure your users aren't spamming/abusing resources. All it takes is one person to send out 1000 emails and spoil the IP reputation of your service.

I rented a VPS and it hosted a simple Wordpress site. Someone used the "Forgot Password" on the login page to send emails to 1000s of users (basically like revenge spamming). The IP got blacklisted and luckily the host didn't charge me anything to get the IP whitelisted again.

I am not discouraging newcomers, but if you don't have experience managing your own server (atleast a VPS) and are very comfortable with the Linux CLI, I think you should get that experience first.

Was your Server Hacked? Because IP Address don't get blacklisted unless Spam Mail and in case of Malware, Domains get blacklisted!
    Use Loginizer or Limit Login attempts or Reset Attempts through wp-config

Ankesh Anand
    LHY Technologies
    CEO
    ankesh@cloudmate.in

• abytecuriousabytecurious Shared Hoster

@cloudmate The server was not hacked, it was just someone who exploited the send email functionality of the Reset Password process. I disabled and uninstalled postfix and smtp from the server and disabled outgoing requests from port 25. This was a personal site and even if I had forgotten the password, I could go to the MySQL CLI and reset it.

BTW, I haven't seen Alpha Reseller products in a long time.

@abytecurious said:
    @cloudmate The server was not hacked, it was just someone who exploited the send email functionality of the Reset Password process. I disabled and uninstalled postfix and smtp from the server and disabled outgoing requests from port 25. This was a personal site and even if I had forgotten the password, I could go to the MySQL CLI and reset it.

BTW, I haven't seen Alpha Reseller products in a long time.

What do you mean You haven't seen Alpha Reseller Products? Master and Alpha comes with all Reseller Plugins...

Ankesh Anand
    LHY Technologies
    CEO
    ankesh@cloudmate.in