RAID Isn't a disaster back-up Solution We Should Count On

MonstaHostMonstaHost NAT Warrior
edited April 2021 in Hosting Discussion & News

Too many web hosting clients continue to view RAID configurations as disaster back-up solutions. While different RAID levels do address redundancy and performance factors, they are shouldn't be viewed as disaster back-up options. Murphy’s Law says that if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong – and at the worst time.

Please share your opinion of the best back-up solutions.

Comments

• cloudmatecloudmate NAT Warrior

@Monsta Host said:
    Too many web hosting clients continue to view RAID configurations as disaster recovery solutions. While different RAID levels do address redundancy and performance factors, they are NOT disaster recovery solutions. Murphy’s Law says that if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong – and at the most inopportune time.

Please share your opinion of the best back-up solutions.

This is not the Case, RAID Configuration is Best for Disaster Recovery and I mostly prefer RAID-1 Configuration on my Servers. See for instance:
    Disk1: /dev/nvme0n1 RAID Config: md1 + md2 +md3
    Disk2: /dev/nvme1n1 RAID Config: md1 + md2 +md3
    md1=/boot

What happens is md1 and md2 becomes the real Disks which you can access. Both these Sub-Disks are made on both Disks. This means that md1 uses both Disk1 and Disk2. If you know, Whenever the boot disk goes corrupt, You cannot recover the Data from md1. That means Disk1 is useless but you can still set the Mount Point to /boot in /dev/nvme1n1/md1 and in this way, It will boot up and You can checkup and repair the Disk1. Even if System is unable to boot, The Rescue System cannot access corrupt Boot Disk nvme0n1. In this case, You can still backup all the User Data from md2 and md3 even if Disk1 is corrupt!

Hope You got that!

Though, You also asked for Backup Solutions, I suggest SFTP Servers utmost because they got your security configured with SSL and also you can also set up crons for rsync so that It can make Incremental Backups as Well!

Thanked by [1] : DeluxeNames

Shared Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers

Ankesh Anand
    LHY Technologies
    CEO
    ankesh@cloudmate.in

• skorupionskorupion Link Clerk

Usually, in the control panel of the VM provisioner, there is an easy backup solution that can automatically send back-ups to an SFTP server somewhere. That's the easiest way.

• PrincedivaPrincediva Link Clerk

RAID can’t Eliminate Human Error , can’t Mitigate Onsite Disasters, can’t (usually) Prevent File Corruption. Though RAID isn't the best, I really don't have a specific one i could recommend