Which Digital Ocean products Are Right For Me?

MerkinMerkin Shared Hoster
edited April 2021 in Hosting Discussion & News

Digital Ocean is a bit confusing for me so I seek your advice.

I need to host a front-end application in React, a back-end application in Node &
a PostgreSQL database. I have examined many hosts and Digital Ocean has low prices, but I'm confused over their options.

They have their App Platform products/solutions and their original droplets, but I'm having some problems understanding which plan will meet my needs.

Please guide me on this?

Comments

• PrincedivaPrincediva Link Clerk

Allows you to create multiple server instances using the same account. DigitalOcean is an ideal option for those people who provide managed hosting services for web applications or websites in shared environments. If this you, you will enjoy using Digital Ocean

Thanked by [2] : Merkin DeluxeNames
  • abytecuriousabytecurious Shared Hoster

I think the answer would boil down to how you want to set the whole thing up - Do you want higher resiliency and high availability? Or is this a simple application that just interacts with NodeJS and PostgreSQL?

If it is the latter, all you need is a single droplet. I don't know the application you are hosting, but a 2GB RAM droplet would be enough. I suggest you start with that, easier to setup. Having this on multiple servers increases the effort for you. DO does not provide internal networking (last time I checked), so every server you get will be public facing. Assuming you start with two servers (1) Front End & Back End NodeJS and (2) for PostgreSQL, you need to clearly firewall Server 2, exposing only the port for the DB, disable everything else.

I don't know enough about their app platform to comment if it is better than getting a droplet, but to me a droplet is more manageable.

Thanked by [2] : Merkin DeluxeNames
  • PatriciaPatricia Link Clerk

You had better stuck with a platform that you are more familiar with. From the looks of it it appears Digital Oceans has a bit of a steep learning curve.

Thanked by [1] : DeluxeNames