Is Your Domain and Hosting at the Same or Different Companies?

Is Your Domain and Hosting at the same company? And why did youchoose that setup?

Right now, my domain and my website are located at the same provider and while I'm pleased with them, I find account security not up to par and plan to separate my domain and webhosting in the future.

Considering security, I feel like it's no improvement if I transfer the domain to a registrar with proper two-factor authentication, but point the domain to my less secure hosting provider's name servers. If my hosting account gets hacked, attackers could just alter the DNS records and point the site to a malicious site. Or am I missing something here?

Comments

• GladGlad Link Clerk

I am not an Internet guru, and I never knew that domain and hosting can be done in separate companies. However I get your point in cases where the account gets hacked one can lose everything. If it is possible to make use of separate companies, then i think it would be better for security purpose. Also look into companies that have high security rate.

Thanked by [1] : DeluxeNames
  • RoyRoy Link Clerk

Now that I think about it, I think having your domain and hosting with different companies does make sense. I feel like it actually provides better security in the case of hacking.