Why is it so hard to find a domain name?

MonstaHostMonstaHost NAT Warrior

Why is it so hard to find a domain name? Most good ".com" domains are already taken.

The problem is that domain brokers purchase hundreds or even thousands of domains that have common words in them because know someone someday will want it. Then they charge you thousands of dollars for the name because they have to offset the cost of buying all those other domains!

Of course, that’s not always the case. Sometimes a domain name you want will already be in use by a legitimate organization. Either way, finding a domain name can be slim pickings these days.

So now that we’ve covered the lousy part of this ordeal, what can you do about it?

How to get an awesome domain name for $10
With some persistence and strategy, you can still find an awesome .com domain name for $10. Here are the tips I use when finding domains for my own websites.

Create a master list:
If you come up with the perfect domain and wait too long expecting it to be available, you’re in for a rude surprise. It’s almost certainly taken.

Do the opposite::
Come up with a list of dozens of potential domain names and don’t get attached to any of them yet. There’s no process for generating this list. Just start ideating any names that could work and avoid being picky for now.

The more names you have in your list, the more likely you are to find an available name.

Maximize your list with synonyms
Use a thesaurus website to find synonyms for the names in your domain name ideas. Thus you come up with more variations.

Add additional words:
Come up with addon words that can make your domain unique and not yet taken.
Here are a few terms you can try:

get
download
try
the
start
Any of these terms can be added to the beginning of your domain name to find an available variation.

Stick to .com:
I would recommend using a domain like getcloudapp.com before cloudapp.net.
When’s the last time you visited a .net website? Or a .org that wasn’t a non-profit organization?
Consumers expect your site to use .com and they trust these domain names much more than alternatives, especially .biz and .info.

The new domain extensions are gaining acceptance, so while I wouldn’t recommend them as a first choice, I think a relevant TLD could be a better choice than another extension like .net or .org.

Check the availability
Once you have your master list compiled, you don’t want to check them all one at a time.

Comments

• Almost all .com domains are taken by now. There's always the option to purchase one from a willing seller though.

Thanked by [1] : MonstaHost
  • StormStorm Link Clerk

Those are some good tips for landing good domain names. I wish I had thought of them before I bought my domain name lol

• I am surprised that most domain names are already taken, little wonder when I go in search of domain names most of them have been taken and put up for sale. I will definitely take into consideration the above tips when next I go in search of a domain name.