Why Only 7 Days of Backups From Some Hosts?

I've noticed many hosts offer 30 days of automatic daily backups, and that seems like a fair, logical amount.

Unfortunately, with my Siteground managed VPS plan, it's 7 days. I've asked them and there's nothing they can do to change that.

So if I go away for a week on vacation, get hacked on day 1, I come back and don't have a single good backup.

That seems risky to me.

Am I right to be concerned here? Just curious. Not trying to bash Siteground but the fact is - most other hosts I've checked with offer more than 7 days.

Comments

• PatriciaPatricia Link Clerk

Indeed 7 days seems a bit risky. They should have an offer for more days even if it would mean paying a little extra.

Thanked by [1] : Merkin
  • DianaDiana Link Clerk

I would highly recommend that you consider switching to another host. 7 days is way too little for backups.

• AishaAisha Link Clerk

I think they limit the backup to seven days to save on resources and cut costs. However, it would have been much better if they also offered the 30 day option even if it's at a premium price.

• MaraMara Link Clerk

It is preferable to change immediately, well if there is no permanence clause or in fact, a loyalty offer is negotiated, they will surely not let you go because they will offer you something better if an agreement cannot be reached then changing would be the best.

• One need be candid here man, 7 days is a serious risk if I must tell you the truth, I can't dare do that because the loss that my end up coming. The thing now is am gonna switch to a one with longer days.