IMPORTANT Lessons I've Learned About Hosting

I'm still new at this, but I've learned these important things about hosting from this forum:

1) Always have separate providers for your webhosting and domain registration. A separate provider for email is a great idea too.

2) Get the cheapest domain registration possible and then move it to Cloudflare in 90 days. Cloudflare is also an ethical host; every account is secure and anonymous by default, there's no useless domain locking tools, no "upgrades" that aren't really upgrades, no strange billing practices, and they don't try to lock you out of a move. I respect that they don't treat the user like a wallet full of money to be taken advantage of.

3) Just avoid GoDaddy and any EIG hosting companies (Bluehost, HostGator, Web.com)

4) Put a free Cloudflare edge cache on top of your hosting. You probably want Cloudflare edge caching, it also gives you one panel to manage both domain and edge cache.

5) Cloudflare is the cheapest registry as they charge only at cost with no markup.

DeluxeNames

Comments

• GladGlad Link Clerk

I thank you for sharing your knowledge about hosting. I don't really know much about hosting but trying to learn one or two things about it. I actually thought Bluehost are one of the best hosting companies, thanks for the warning. I would surely make use of your advice when it comes to hosting a site.

Thanked by [1] : MonstaHost
  • dkamaudkamau Link Clerk

I see you have learnt a lot. Myself also, I have learnt something and also wish everyone without such knowledge to know to.

• Thanks for pointing out the bit about avoiding GoDaddy. Going by experience I'd very much advise the same too.

Thanked by [2] : MonstaHost DeluxeNames
  • I am glad that you mentioned Cloudfare. I am in love with their service majorly because of how affordable they are :)

• MonstaHostMonstaHost NAT Warrior

@George said:
    I am glad that you mentioned Cloudfare. I am in love with their service majorly because of how affordable they are :)

Me too @George, Cloudflare is a great service.

• cloudmatecloudmate NAT Warrior

@Monsta Host said:

I'm still new at this, but I've learned these important things about hosting from this forum:

1) Always have separate providers for your webhosting and domain registration. A separate provider for email is a great idea too.

2) Get the cheapest domain registration possible and then move it to Cloudflare in 90 days. Cloudflare is also an ethical host; every account is secure and anonymous by default, there's no useless domain locking tools, no "upgrades" that aren't really upgrades, no strange billing practices, and they don't try to lock you out of a move. I respect that they don't treat the user like a wallet full of money to be taken advantage of.

3) Just avoid GoDaddy and any EIG hosting companies (Bluehost, HostGator, Web.com)

4) Put a free Cloudflare edge cache on top of your hosting. You probably want Cloudflare edge caching, it also gives you one panel to manage both domain and edge cache.

5) Cloudflare is the cheapest registry as they charge only at cost with no markup.

Seems like you trusted CloudFlare too much. Let me tell you one thing, it seems Cloudflare seems Speeding website up but actually its makes up its own caching layer which makes Dynamic websites harder to Update every second. Morever, it actually slows down your website using proxying. The best thing for which I use it is DNS only, We have 4 DNS Servers so that our Cloud Never goes down and 2 of them are of Cloudflare because its trusted for DNS Servers.

I partially disagree with your first point, you can keep Hosting and Domain providers different but Email hosting always seem to me as a waste of money. Most of New comers just go to GSUITE because they think its integrated with Gmail. I give the same to my customers without a GSUITE. People don't know how to Integrate POP3 and SMTP with Gmail and thats why they have to pay more but reality is Each of my Customers are on Gmail with Business Email for free.

Your second point, I totally disagree with! Domain Registrar Lock should always be there, in the current scenario, People can easily guess EPP code and just run away with your Domain. Though, each Domain Registrar is trusted in this matter even Godaddy because they have their level of ethics as a registrar.

I totally agree with your Third point! <3

For the fifth point, Cloudflare is a Registrar, not registry! Registry for .COM TLD is Verisign and so on for each different TLD!

Don't take this review in a Negative way... o:) <3

Thanked by [1] : DeluxeNames
    DeluxeNames

Shared Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers

Ankesh Anand
    CloudMate Softwares
    Managing Director
    ankesh@cloudmate.in