Watch out, the Chia miners are coming

cloudmatecloudmate NAT Warrior
edited May 2021 in Industry Press Releases

Gabe posts a warning this morning, to all dedicated hosts, about the spike in demand for Chia miners. They use massive CPU (and therefore power) to plot very large hard drives. They always want an SSD (this improves plotting speed). Every 1gb of HDD space "plotted" will require 15gb of writes to your SSDs, potentially burning them out. When Chia crashes this demand is likely to disappear, leaving hosts with burnt out SSDs, unwanted large hard drives, and large power commitments without a customer to pay for them. Join this new thread to read comments from other hosts and add your own experiences.

**Warning to all dedicated hosts!

Huge amounts of our sales leads are now for Chia miners.

They use massive cpu (and therefore power) to plot very large hard drives.

They always want an SSD (this improves plotting speed). They will burn out your SSDs. Every 1gb of HDD space "plotted" will require 15gb of writes to your SSDs.

When Chia crashes, this "demand" will disappear, leaving you with burnt out SSDs, large hard drives you don't need, and large power commitments without a customer to pay for them.

If you entertain these sales at all, make sure to use SSD with high endurance (3 drive writes per day rated or higher). Make sure to charge a setup fee.

Right now, a storage server that might be worth $1000/mo can bring in $1000/day in Chia. This is making people go bonkers.

Be careful out there!
Original Full Thread at Link

Shared Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers

Ankesh Anand
CloudMate Softwares
Managing Director
ankesh@cloudmate.in

Comments

• abytecuriousabytecurious Shared Hoster

Also there is no guarantee that you get plots. I gave up on trying to mine Chia after I realized that there are people with 500+ plots (that is 100GB * 500 - 50TB) and zero chia mined. The network space is increasing really fast reducing your chance of getting a reward.

• cloudmatecloudmate NAT Warrior

@abytecurious said:
    Also there is no guarantee that you get plots. I gave up on trying to mine Chia after I realized that there are people with 500+ plots (that is 100GB * 500 - 50TB) and zero chia mined. The network space is increasing really fast reducing your chance of getting a reward.

I got a Chia Miner on my Shared Hosting but He could not mine.... Seems like Imunify360 is good enough to protect the server. I came to know after 5 Days when I logged into the Server!

Ankesh Anand
    CloudMate Softwares
    Managing Director
    ankesh@cloudmate.in

• abytecuriousabytecurious Shared Hoster

LOL @cloudmate even with super fast processors, plots take 7-10 hrs to get ready. On shared hosting, I think it would have taken 5 days just to complete plotting.

• cloudmatecloudmate NAT Warrior

@abytecurious said:
    LOL @cloudmate even with super fast processors, plots take 7-10 hrs to get ready. On shared hosting, I think it would have taken 5 days just to complete plotting.

I came to know after 5 days when Cloudlinux sent Abuse Email about occupying of 2TB Server Space! CloudLinux+Imunify360=OP!

Ankesh Anand
    CloudMate Softwares
    Managing Director
    ankesh@cloudmate.in