VPS or Shared Hosting?

I am a Wordpress developer and I want to host various Wordpress sites (online shops) with the simplicity of shared hosting, but using something faster like a VPS. I am willing to put in some time to set things up and I'm not a total idiot, but my job is Wordpress development, NOT server admin, so I was thinking of using Cpanel with Digital Ocean. How does this compare to just continuing to use shared hosting? Do I have to set up a new droplet for each Wordpress site or could I just use a large droplet with Cpanel and give each site their own folder?

Does anyone have advice for me? I really appreciate any advice that you have!

Comments

• cloudmatecloudmate NAT Warrior

@AlphaRacks said:
    I am a Wordpress developer and I want to host various Wordpress sites (online shops) with the simplicity of shared hosting, but using something faster like a VPS. I am willing to put in some time to set things up and I'm not a total idiot, but my job is Wordpress development, NOT server admin, so I was thinking of using Cpanel with Digital Ocean. How does this compare to just continuing to use shared hosting? Do I have to set up a new droplet for each Wordpress site or could I just use a large droplet with Cpanel and give each site their own folder?

Actually, It depends upon Cores. A Typical Shared Server Contains 8 Cores which can handle about 10000Requests/Sec whereas a VPS Contains Virtual Cores which are also shared. The Main thing that comes here is in Shared Hosting you are allowed to occupy 50-60% of resources that means to protect your site from a DDOS Attack or Bruteforce, The server Cores are there(physical) whereas when you are only left out with 1 Core, You cannot defend more than 100Requests/Sec.

A Shared Hosting server does not have its resources occupied always and only gets occupied once a Customer visits giving you immense free resources to perform you activity. The good thing is VPS are only good for Compute type Websites with Load Balancers on it.

A Shared Server can never get its resources fully occupied because they are build to withstand and handle large volumes per website but VPS Compute is Fast as the resources are completely Dedicated. The bad thing is your CPU goes 100% once in a While while affects the website and Backend Services.

So Best option is You can host 4 Websites at most per Virtual core if you need best performance. If you are a Server expert, then you can host 15-20 Websites per core depending upon your Configuration of Apache. Overall, Go with a Large Droplet with immense resources so that It works like a Shared Server only plus you got More Defense on every website!

Thanked by [1] : AlphaRacks

Shared Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers

Ankesh Anand
    CloudMate Softwares
    Managing Director
    ankesh@cloudmate.in

• AlphaRacksAlphaRacks Link Clerk

@cloudmate said:

@AlphaRacks said:

Actually, It depends upon Cores. A Typical Shared Server Contains 8 Cores which can handle about 10000Requests/Sec whereas a VPS Contains Virtual Cores which are also shared. The Main thing that comes here is in Shared Hosting you are allowed to occupy 50-60% of resources that means to protect your site from a DDOS Attack or Bruteforce, The server Cores are there(physical) whereas when you are only left out with 1 Core, You cannot defend more than 100Requests/Sec.

A Shared Hosting server does not have its resources occupied always and only gets occupied once a Customer visits giving you immense free resources to perform you activity. The good thing is VPS are only good for Compute type Websites with Load Balancers on it.

A Shared Server can never get its resources fully occupied because they are build to withstand and handle large volumes per website but VPS Compute is Fast as the resources are completely Dedicated. The bad thing is your CPU goes 100% once in a While while affects the website and Backend Services.

So Best option is You can host 4 Websites at most per Virtual core if you need best performance. If you are a Server expert, then you can host 15-20 Websites per core depending upon your Configuration of Apache. Overall, Go with a Large Droplet with immense resources so that It works like a Shared Server only plus you got More Defense on every website!

Ok that makes more sense then, thanks!

DeluxeNames